squeaks when turning to the left - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
squeaks when turning to the left
Monday, February 28, 2005 1:57 PM
My left wheel has been squeaking when i have been turning to the left, so i took it in to get checked out. i need a whole new front brake setup. they say the caliper is getting hung up on the rotor. so calipers, pads, rotors, and labor is going to be $465.00.

This really sucks. has anyone else had this problem?

New sig in the works

Re: squeaks when turning to the left
Monday, February 28, 2005 2:01 PM
I would take it somewhere else for another quote and inspection. Just take it to another shop and don't mention what the first told you. Let them make up their mind and then give you their thoughts. Always remember that just because you get a quote/inspection somewhere, doesn't mean their right or they get to do the work...

Also, I would suggest checking your power steering fluid level as I had a similar sounding problem a few years back and that's all it turned out to be.

"I count him braver who overcomes his
desires than him who conquers his enemies.
For the hardest victory is the victory over self."
- Aristotle

Monday, February 28, 2005 2:16 PM
i would be really happy if it was the power steering fluid. alot cheaper.

New sig in the works
Monday, February 28, 2005 2:22 PM
sounds like bull@!#$ to me, but i also would need to check it out for myself.

-Borsty
Monday, February 28, 2005 2:50 PM
i am going to take it somewhere else to get a second opinion tomorrow morning. i hope they find out it is something cheaper.

New sig in the works
Monday, February 28, 2005 3:20 PM
I had the exact same problem about a week ago, but it was my right wheel that was doing that. All I did was a simple brake job (pads-$20, rotors-$30) plus a couple hours of labor(while sippin back a few). I have not heard any squeaks since. If I were you, I would go ahead and do a brake job, especially if you haven't done one in a while because $400 + sounds like a lot to me. Shifty mechanics will always try to get you to have stuff replaced that works just fine, thats why I don't trust taking my car anywhere unless I already know what is wrong with it.

Proud member of Gateway J-Body Owners
Monday, February 28, 2005 8:44 PM
it has been about two years since i had the front brakes done. the car only has about 47,000 miles on it. how often do you usually have to change your front breaks. my back ones are the oem, and still have about 50% life left on the pads. its like my drums are lasting and my disc are killing me.

New sig in the works
Monday, February 28, 2005 10:14 PM
drums will last a lot longer than disc breaks in general because they get used more. I usually do the breaks about once a year and I was having this problem, so I would say it is about time to change them.

Proud member of Gateway J-Body Owners
Tuesday, March 01, 2005 8:11 AM
thanks i appreciate all the advice. i think i will just slap on some new brakes

New sig in the works
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search