Sputter problems - Page 2 - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Sputter problems
Thursday, March 10, 2005 4:20 PM
Nevermind its the same thing....yes that is expensive....but i could of sworn I saw it cheaper somewhere...hmm

Car is for Sale!Supercharger kit is for sale!

Thursday, March 10, 2005 4:23 PM
It say the GM list is it for $276 but $133 on GMpartdirect and also shipping put it at $166.00

How much you paid for it.

2004 Grand Prix GTP (Competition Group)
SOLD-->1999 Z24 5M-#30 to register on JBO
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Thursday, March 10, 2005 4:28 PM
I didn't have to buy one... ....I had a newer motor put in my car a couple months ago and I just swapped them.....

What happened was that it had started sputtering back in November I think.....So right after I had the newer motor put in (January) I drove it that day and it was perfectly fine...and also fine the next day.......But what I did after a couple days was swap my plugs, and that whole piece that goes on top from my old motor to my new one.....and then it started right back up........So I put two and two together and just changed it out today and it didnt sputter at all.........

Friday, March 11, 2005 4:54 PM
Hey, is this part hard to change? Would I be able to change it myself if I have the tools? What tools would you need? I just want it to totally stop doing it. So if you can help me out let me know.

thanks in Advance.
Friday, March 11, 2005 4:57 PM
Well today it was still sputtering but just barely i mean cant even tell.....so that part helped somehow...maybe i'll change the coil packs too for the hell of it cause I think they are due.....Also I will be installing a whole new fuel sending unit so if its totally gone after that then the fuel pump could possibly be the problem.....

Xerd- If you got a 2.2 like it says in your registry then I have no idea where it would and also how to change it..Sorry

Friday, March 11, 2005 5:54 PM
There is a 'flash' for your ECU you get from the dealer. it costs about 60-70$ to have them flash it with the latest code. like other computers there are 'bug' fixes and if you goto http://calid.gm.com/vci/VINEntryPre.do and plug your VIN into the system you can see the updates for your car. the latest update contains a fix for cold start hesitation. its a problem with the ECU not knowing howto feed the car properly when the block is cold and its not in closed loop. BTW the two ignition coils are only like 35$ a piece at autozone if you have one close.
Friday, March 11, 2005 6:05 PM
I think this post should be put into a sticky for the hesitation problem. I am sure if you change your ICM and get the ECU flashed it will fix your problem and I know that a bunch of other people are having the same problem. I am pretty sure it is 99 and below cavaliers maybe the 01 Z's too. I stumbled across this flash from www.cardone.com because if you buy their equipment you are supposed to be able to flash your ECU yourself with whatever settings and what not you want. I have not had this done yet but based on what the GM flash update said it is the EXACT problem I am having which is what you all described. Let me know.
Monday, March 14, 2005 12:15 PM
My car is going in for a Recall fix on wednesday and reflash. I will let you all know what happens

"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Monday, March 14, 2005 12:56 PM
^ Yea keep us updated...

Wednesday, March 16, 2005 7:35 AM
Car is in the shop will let you know what happens with the reprogram.

all the time

Wednesday, March 16, 2005 12:17 PM
They are telling me there is no upgrade. I just went to the site and put in my vin number.

all the time

Wednesday, March 16, 2005 12:44 PM
I need to call the damn dealer again. I just checked the site and there is a recalibration. That is why i hate dealers. Some of them don't know. They trying to say i have to much aftermarket stuff to work on the car. Also, is there anywhere else i can go to do the calibration.

all the time

Wednesday, March 16, 2005 1:00 PM
The dealership should know there is one out there if they look. They have access to that site you use for the VIN# tell them to goto it. You might want to try a different dealership. They have access to all GM's content plus Techline which is their internal support network that public doesnt have access to.
Wednesday, March 16, 2005 1:25 PM
I called another dealership that will allow me to bring in the computer and do the calibration.

Funny thing is that this dealership and the one i went to has the same owner i guess different jerks working the service department.

Just need to know where is the computer i need to remove.

all the time

Wednesday, March 16, 2005 2:14 PM
if you get someone who doesnt know wtf they are talking about ask for a service manager or advisor. the peeps that answer the phone will give you a B.S answer which is why they answer the phones and dont work on the cars. a service advisor will give you the answers you need to know.

You shouldnt have to remove the computer. the computer is in the right front side fenderwell between the fenderwell and the bumper. They want you to remove the computer?
Wednesday, March 16, 2005 3:21 PM
I'm sure I will have the same problem with my local dealership with them saying there is no recalibration. So I'll just go to the next closest one they seemed to be pretty good at fixing my problems that the other place couldnt fix.....

Is that all they would need is just the computer?

Wednesday, March 16, 2005 3:48 PM
Yep the dealer i am going to and a website i went to say you can do the recalibration in or out of the car. So i am doing it out. The other dealer said they did not want to work on my car because it was to heavily modified. I don't have many mods. I guess the wires from the grounding kits made it look confusing in there.

I am removing so i don't have any grief from this other dealer although they are some what cool

all the time

Tuesday, March 22, 2005 5:25 PM
^^ Any updates on your situation?????

Thursday, March 24, 2005 1:20 PM
The other dealer said they would do it so i will have to bring the car in i just have not had a chance to do it that is all. When i get a chance i will take it in.

all the time

Tuesday, April 19, 2005 9:05 AM
Still have not had a chance to do to the dealer but i got misfire code yesturday so i finally changed my coil packs. I hope to do that reflash after i come back from vacation in in June.

all the time

Wednesday, April 27, 2005 5:45 AM
Coil packs helped a little but not that much. I just changed my spark splugs not to long ago and now my plugs already are looking white.

all the time

Wednesday, April 27, 2005 8:44 AM
what part is white? the electrode or the insulator. they should be a greyish or tan color
Wednesday, April 27, 2005 10:58 AM
The electrode is white not grey. Not the whole electrode is white. I burning alot of gas but the thing is that if it is white then the car is running lean.

all the time

Wednesday, April 27, 2005 11:18 AM
yeah if its white its too hot. could mean alot of heat, either the car overheating, the plug is too hot(need a colder plug), or a fuel problem. You might want to check your fuel filter, if it hasnt been changed in a long time that can help you out alot.
Wednesday, April 27, 2005 11:22 AM
Changed the fuel filter. I may need to run the Supercharger plugs on my car then those a colder plugs.

all the time

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search