Please help.. 1989 Corsica V6 w/ Ign switch prob. - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Please help.. 1989 Corsica V6 w/ Ign switch prob.
Wednesday, March 02, 2005 6:37 PM
I have an 89 corisca w/ as a beater..it has the 2.8 v6 ... The ignition switch went bad..and car stays on and dash stays lit. wherever the key may be...i have to unhook the battery so the battery doesnt run dead lol.... I really dont care about that since its a beater..but i cannot start it.. I need to know 1 of a few things... how do you remove the ignition switch!!! that thing is in there i cant find any bolts near it or any release .... if not what wire/where to wire that feeds the selenoid/relay of the car under the dash ..or if the car actually has a starter relay under the hood i will gladly start it there..but i cant find the relay box? i thought most gms have this..but apparently not this car unless i'm blind.. ..... does the car have a selenoid under the hood/?? .. If so where... my old ford had one under the hood...my luck this one is on the starter.... lastly .. if all else fails does anybody know where the starter is located.... Its snowing out so i havent quite looked but its not feasible right now to go crawling under the car searching so a general idea on what side of the engine it would be would be helpful i will run a wire from there into the dash and rig it to a switch and basically hotwire it that way ... I know it sounds like a bunch of work but all i need is access to the starter wire and i will extend the thing and solve the problem..winters almost over i'm not planning on buying another beater car for the remainder....

Thanks and any suggestions are definitely appreciated if i missed any kind of work around .. i hope this is clear enough to understand my fingers are numb..

Re: Please help.. 1989 Corsica V6 w/ Ign switch prob.
Wednesday, March 02, 2005 7:16 PM
wrong forum

Re: Please help.. 1989 Corsica V6 w/ Ign switch prob.
Sunday, March 06, 2005 8:51 AM
I know it wasnt meant to be posted in a j-body forum was just posting because i only read here regularly and well the corsica v6 has the same engine as the 2nd gen's w/ the 2.8 so i thought Maybe there was similaritys throughout the rest of the car ..that or somebody had some info on the car out of coincidence...but anyways if anybody cares i found the key actually is attached to a rod that actuates the ignition switch about a 6 inches down the steering column like old jeeps do ... so over ridign the key wasnt such a big problem after all... thanks
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search