Is it my alternator or what? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Is it my alternator or what?
Thursday, March 03, 2005 1:52 PM
Alright this has gotta get fixed....I think its gotta be my alternator but here is my problem...
I go to start my car and i turn the key and I get NOTHING, doesnt even click, so right away u would assume maybe its my starter. But if i jump my car it starts just fine and i can let it run for a good 10 minutes at least, I never let it run longer then that off of a jump. Then when i turn the car off and go to start it again..NOTHING. Do i have a bad alternator and its not charging the battery? Its a brand new optima red-top battery and since this has been happening i had the battery checked and fully charged at autozone so it isnt the battery. is it that i just need a new alternator? i checked all the wiring and everything seems fine so if this has happened to anyone or you know why let me know, thanks!!!!!

Re: Is it my alternator or what?
Thursday, March 03, 2005 2:34 PM
actually, its ur battery. Its not taking a charge, thus its not holding a charge, thats why when u started it, it did absolutely nothing. Its e z to test ur alt though. If you have a volt meter, with the car running, put the positive lead on the positive post on the bat. and negative on negative. It shoudl be atleast 14Volts

96 Sunfire, 2.4L Twin Cam 5 Spd, estimated 180hp
Re: Is it my alternator or what?
Thursday, March 03, 2005 2:35 PM
To check if the alternator is charging, get a voltmeter and put it on the battery, stsrt the car and check if u get 14 volts or higher on the votlmeter, if so, ur alternator is fine. If u get 12 volts or lower ur altenator is dead.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search