Fuel filter on a 99 Cavy 2.2 - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Fuel filter on a 99 Cavy 2.2
Saturday, February 26, 2005 11:10 AM
How do I get this godforsaken old one off!? I got the metal line side off just fine, but the line coming from the tank to the filter will NOT come off. I walked down the street to Advance, checked a Haynes Manual and it said to "simply push the white tabs in and pull", well, not only are there no white tabs on the old filter, the picture they showed didn't even have white tabs.

It's got a weird connection. I'll try to describe it as best as I can. The line from the gas tank is a hose, which connects to a metal fitting. The fitting flares out, and has a black plastic piece that fits around the outside of the metal fitting (4 tabs on the outside) and then goes back into the inside of the metal fitting, and thats where the filter itself goes in. I can draw up something if that might help.

Hopefully someone has done this on a 99 and knows exactly what Im talking about and can help me out.

TIA

My Car Domain Page

Re: Fuel filter on a 99 Cavy 2.2
Saturday, February 26, 2005 5:46 PM
I heard there was a tool for it, on mine (2000 cav) i could do it without,ummm, just pull on it and it should work.

Saturday, February 26, 2005 6:28 PM
Try the instructions at this site
Fuel Filter Instructions
Tuesday, March 01, 2005 8:10 AM
I'll give that a try, thanks. I hope it works cuz I was ready to take a hacksaw to that son of a bitch =P

My Car Domain Page

Tuesday, March 01, 2005 4:18 PM
MSD

I replaced mine on my 99 Cav 2.2 last Thursday evening. It was a bitch to get that mofo off. I tried sawed it all around to weaken the tubing then bent it back and forth till it broke. Then what I did was to pull that black connecting piece of crap along with the metal clips that are in the inside of the female end of the fuel line. After that, which took close to an hour, it was a breeze to snap in my new filter and attach it securely and I was good to go! Make sure you take it for a test drive and periodically check for leaks(several days at the most).

Hope this helps..those factory filters suck!

Good...Better...Best!...Never Quit, Never Rest...Until the Good Get Better and the Better Get Best!
Thursday, March 03, 2005 5:45 PM
Dude, it's called a Fuel line cutt-off tool.
Thursday, March 03, 2005 6:16 PM
you should have just spent the 20 bucks an bought the right tool. their are metal tabs that the tool holds down so you can pull the line out. Gravy

1979 Impala Sport Coupe Aeroback
Thursday, March 03, 2005 10:38 PM
deja vu. i use a line wrench to push the tabs in, and pull. just like butta'.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search