Starter replacement /crank but no start - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Starter replacement /crank but no start
Friday, March 04, 2005 4:32 PM
I replaced the starter on my 96 Sunfire GT 2.4L engine. Took a couple of hours but went not to bad. When I got done the car would crank but not start. Used ether but would not even kick. The "Theft System " light was on so, I thought I had some kind of lockout by the CPU. I had it towed to the dealer and after 3 hours of trouble shooting it turns out I had pulled the pin loose but not out of the crank sensor. It sits on the block right beside the start motor. I thought it was oil pressure sensor or something and did not check it. This not working gives no spark and no injector function and the lights on the dash do not flash or go out. The money I saved by installing the starter was more than lost by my bill from the dealer.

Re: Starter replacement /crank but no start
Saturday, March 05, 2005 5:22 AM
Did you disconnect your battery when changing it? if not their is a very slim chance you may have blown a fuse. Just check them all with a test light. It can't hurt to check.

1979 Impala Sport Coupe Aeroback
Re: Starter replacement /crank but no start
Saturday, March 05, 2005 8:49 PM
Yes I did disconnect the battery. This was not a question but a post for someone who should happen to have the same problem to give them a solution that cost me $300 at the dealer. The car runs fine again with 248000 K on it.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search