Alternator? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Alternator?
Sunday, February 27, 2005 9:09 PM
My volt gauge is reading 12.5-14 volts when the car is running and the guage wont even light up unless the engine has been running for a few minutes.

Sound like like me Alt. is dead?

If it is what should I get, I can pick up a stock spec on but if I am just going to kill it as well I want one that is more beefy.

Lastly, what all is involved in changing alts?

-->Michael Ferrari

Re: Alternator?
Monday, February 28, 2005 8:10 AM
Summitracing.com they have Powermaster street alternators in varying outputs.

if you don't have a little label on the hood that tells you the belt routing, take a minute and draw a picture of how the belt goes around the pulleys.

removing the serpentine belt (2.2) requires a 15mm wrench. you turn the tensioner clockwise (if facing the car, you pull the wrench toward you). to get the right clearance you have to use the open end of the wrench because it is flat. or you can get the special tool that you don't need. then there are a are a few bolts holding the alternator bracket to the engine and i think 2 bolts holding the alternator to the bracket.

the tensioner on the 2.4 is i think a 13mm. havent done that one in a while.

it's pretty much remove and replace. just disconnect the battery and watch the bat. wire on the alternator. as it is always hot, unless the battery is disconneced and the juice is gone. a trick for getting rid of excess electrons after disconnecting the battery is to step on the brake pedal until the brake lights fade out.
Thursday, March 03, 2005 10:35 PM
bump. seems like everyone has the same problems.
Friday, March 04, 2005 6:02 AM
i'd find a alternator repair shop and get the one you have rebuilt to higher spec.... the part that goes bad in them are easily replaceable and they can be buit to put out more power by replacing the voltage regulators.

Saturday, March 05, 2005 8:49 AM
ok, you have an alternator that is putting out 12.5 - 14 volts and you want to replace it? why? that is what an alternator should put out. the gauge won't light up? do you mean the little light inside the gauge? or the needle won't move? or do you have a warning light? you should take your car to any auto zone or pep boys or advance auto. they will bring a charging circuit tester right out to your car and test the battery and alt. for free.

I would have wrote you a poem, but I couldn't find anything that rhymed with F@#K OFF!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search