help car 'buckling' under extreme turning, - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
help car 'buckling' under extreme turning,
Tuesday, March 08, 2005 6:17 PM
please help, and i hope its not the cv joints, because i checked the boots and there not cracked at all, look very good on both ends.

however i did notice that the ball joints that need grease are low, and looks like one is dead.

here is what happens though

when i'm pulling in, or out of a parking spot, at low speeds. the car feels like a wheel slipped on ice. or if it skip. it makes a slight bucking.

it can also be discribed as if the wheel was folding under the car? where it seems like the car dips down a bit into the wheel.

or like if you went over a small ice patch and the tire sliped, and then caugth traction again.

any ideas?

Re: help car 'buckling' under extreme turning,
Tuesday, March 08, 2005 6:25 PM
Check you wheel bearings.

Tuesday, March 08, 2005 6:30 PM
how do i check the wheel bearings, I know there sealed and need to be replaced as a unit, but how do i check them?
Tuesday, March 08, 2005 6:31 PM
what year is your car..maybe it still has the recall on the rack and pignion to be done?
Tuesday, March 08, 2005 6:34 PM
Jack up the front end. Try to move the wheel towards and away from the engine bay. If you have movement you probably have a bad wheel bearing.

Tuesday, March 08, 2005 6:38 PM
sorry about the no car info.

2001 sunfire se, coupe, 2200 auto 4 speed.

thanks for the info so far.

so would the test for bad ball joints on the tie rod ends be to grap the wheel on the sides and see if you can turn it?

i.e. bad bearing test, grab wheel on top and bottom, and then twist, if moves, change wheel bearing.

grab wheel right and left and move side to side bad tie rod end or ball joints?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search