No Offence to J-bodies but.... - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
No Offence to J-bodies but....
Monday, March 07, 2005 2:44 PM
the "ETS OFF" mystery is a freaking joke.
The j-bodies have been around for how long now.... and no solid information about this dreaded light.

My girlfriend has a '96 Cav auto, and has had the ETS OFF light come on. When she called me and told me i just thought ok, traction control is off no worries, but she hadn't even left her driveway AND the car was shaking.

In my head I figured it was either a sensor issue (intake air, throttle-body poistion) or a mis-fire in which case the Check-Engine light should've been on. The next day she drove her car the lights were off and everything was fine.

The light has come on again today while she was driving home from school and i'd like to go and check it out myself because i have a feeling if we take it to get scanned the problem will go away and not be able to be duplicated.

I was wondering if anyone has any information at all on how to check the computer without being scanned, i know on neons (or any OBD-II vehicle) you can just give the car 3 key cycles and the CEL with flash a series of times indicating a code number for general reference, can you do the same with a cavalier?

I've been reading a lot on the Enhanced Traction System but have yet to find any information directly related to the symptoms. Some say spark plugs, gas cap (come on now...) , vacuum leak, mis-fire, all sorts.

Any relavent information would be greatly appreciated.

Re: No Offence to J-bodies but....
Monday, March 07, 2005 2:49 PM
hey now, i threw a CEL for a loose gas cap.....

turns out is was a bad valve in the evap system though

either way, good luck in your search sir

Monday, March 07, 2005 2:55 PM
thanks Cody, sorry but i find a loose gas cap throwing CEL kinda funny. Could cause a lot of worry for nothing.

I know the ETS talks to the PCM and the PCM tries to compensate for traction loss but she was parked and there was no CEL.

How did you determine it was a bad valve in the evap system?
Monday, March 07, 2005 7:38 PM
Have you recently done anything, like take the intake off or install a new one?

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Monday, March 07, 2005 8:07 PM
may have something to do with a wheel sensor or speed sensor i suppose?? not sure if you can scan for that light like you can with the check engine light or ABS system.. wish i could be of help. maybe someone works for a dealership or has a service manual could help you troubleshoot this, good luck

Monday, March 07, 2005 9:49 PM
Quote:

How did you determine it was a bad valve in the evap system?

i didn't determine anything, the dealership did lol

i was still under my 3yr/36k.... but not anymore....

Tuesday, March 08, 2005 5:51 AM
Mine had the same problem and so did like 4 other ppl on the org. We all solved it by checked/replacing the wheel censor harnesses and censors. If one of the censors is ruined it throws off the Enhanced Traction System because it thinks only 1 wheel is spinning.

Good luck fixing this problem! Hope this helps.

-Nate (ZeeTwankyFo)

Tuesday, March 08, 2005 8:24 AM
Quote:

thanks Cody, sorry but i find a loose gas cap throwing CEL kinda funny. Could cause a lot of worry for nothing.

that goes for any car made after 96' not just j-bodies bub.
Tuesday, March 08, 2005 10:09 PM
i say try checking the wheel sensors

next time, get your girl to buy a manual and bypass the stupid traction crap altogether

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search