Does the 2002 gas tank match the 1998 one? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Does the 2002 gas tank match the 1998 one?
Wednesday, March 09, 2005 5:20 AM
Needing to replace my gas tank. A new one is expensive and many are available at the wreckers. I'm thinking of buying used from a new cavalier, not one from prior to 2000 since it would have started to rust. Does anybody know if it's a perfect match?

The 1998 has at the back, 2 connections. One is about 5/8 and the other one is about
2 1/2 inch. On top there's the opening for the pump which is about 4 to 5 inches in diametre.

Any clues?

---------------------------------
SoupMan

- and no, 'Soup' in SoupMan does not stand for Soup Up but for 'Soup' as in Lipton 'Soup'. -

Re: Does the 2002 gas tank match the 1998 one?
Wednesday, March 09, 2005 5:54 AM
I believe the newer ones are plastic, and a bit smaller than the old metal ones, but I believe they are interchangeable.

BTW: Please post in the correct forum

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Wednesday, March 09, 2005 7:04 AM
Sorry for posting in the bad place. I post on an 2nd Gen F-Body forum and General is for general tech questions. Won't happen again.

As for the question. Plastic is great, but will the strap keep the thank still and is the
Gaz pump the same?

SoupMan

- and no, 'Soup' in SoupMan does not stand for Soup Up but for 'Soup' as in Lipton 'Soup'. -
Wednesday, March 09, 2005 8:03 AM
the tanks are the same basic shape

but the 00-05 tanks are about 2.5 gallons smaller

and the intank modules are different as well

Wednesday, March 09, 2005 9:34 AM
Thanks for the info

So the intank modules are different. Do you know if the 98 intank fuel pump will still fit?

If not, do you know if the 2002+ fuel pumps will match the connections and electrical of the 98?

SoupMan

Wednesday, March 09, 2005 12:05 PM
Basically all I need to know is if the fuel pump is the same or know the diametre of the fuel pump hole.

Thanks!

SoupMan

Wednesday, March 09, 2005 1:24 PM
If you want something rust free, go for a plastic one. They can be found on the 03+'s for sure and maybe some 02's? I'm fairly sure the fuel pump and evap in it will work, but I don't know if you can swap your stock stuff on to the plastic tank.

Email suncavi, as I'm fairly sure that when he did the ecotec swap he left the old tank and fuel pump in there. If he did, then I would think you could grab the whole tank setup off an ecotec and swap in there.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search