Car Won't Start - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Car Won't Start
Wednesday, March 09, 2005 7:14 AM
My car isn't starting, it is cranking over, just not starting up....I have new spark plugs and spark plug wires, I changed them over the weekend and it started fine. The only thing is it is really cold outside and I am thinking maybe that the cold has something to do with it. I think this because last week I got up to go to work and my car wouldn't start and it was about the same temperature. Anyone have any ideas as to what the problem could be???

Re: Car Won't Start
Wednesday, March 09, 2005 8:57 AM
Sounds like a battery that is on it's way out. I recently had a problem similar to yours and replaced my battery and all is good. Get your battery tested to determine if it's good or not or since you have a '97 just replace it anyway as it's probably time.

Remember, batteries have less cranking amps when they are cold and if you have one that is already weak and you try to turn your engine over in the cold, it may just not have enough cranking amps to make it happen.

"I count him braver who overcomes his
desires than him who conquers his enemies.
For the hardest victory is the victory over self."
- Aristotle

Wednesday, March 09, 2005 10:24 AM
Usually you should be able to tell if the cranking amps aren't sufficient. Usually the starter should just turn turn turn with no hesitation. If the amps are low, it will sound like it's under a severe strain.

When you say cold, how cold?

---------------------------------
SoupMan

- and no, 'Soup' in SoupMan does not stand for Soup Up but for 'Soup' as in Lipton 'Soup'. -
Wednesday, March 09, 2005 10:48 AM
I was going to say the exact same thing. I had to replace my battery (just last night in fact) for the same reason. I have been noticing a problem with the engine turning over for about 2 months now until yesterday it finally just died. One tell-tale sign to look for is if the clock/radio is messed up...that's what finally clued me in to a battery problem is the last time I went to start it and it had a hard time starting I noticed that the clock was off after I got the car started. Take it in and have it tested first, I think just about every parts store does it for free now plus free installation on a new battery.
Wednesday, March 09, 2005 2:00 PM
battery is cranking all the engine, and the the spark is okay.....so anything else it could be???

Wednesday, March 09, 2005 5:02 PM
When you turn the key, listen to see if you hear the fuel pump come on. You could most likely not be getting fuel to your engine. This happened to my cav 2 weeks ago and it had the exact same symptoms that you are describing.
Wednesday, March 09, 2005 5:05 PM
the fuel pump definetely is working cuz I can hear it turn on, and I can smell fuel in the engine....I just wonder if it is sending enough fuel???

Wednesday, March 09, 2005 5:14 PM
ok then let's go ahead and check the fuel relays. there are two of them in a 97' if i remember right. i am almost 95% sure. there is one under the hood in the fuse box and another by the fuel pump.
Wednesday, March 09, 2005 5:20 PM
hmmmm, I shall have to check that out tomorrow, it is late and cold right now....I'm relaxing for the night. Thanks for all the help, I will keep u guys posted cuz I'm sure there will be more questions

Thursday, March 10, 2005 8:30 AM
anyone think the problem could be a fuel filter issue???

Thursday, March 10, 2005 6:09 PM
Try a wet compression test it is possible that you cooked your valves. Warping of the valves would cause your ECU to abort a start up.

Friday, March 11, 2005 4:18 PM
keep it simple Spark, air/fuel, and compression.

1979 Impala Sport Coupe Aeroback
Saturday, March 12, 2005 5:27 PM
True but if the car is not cranking over PEROID. It is time to look at starter and compression issues.
Saturday, March 12, 2005 5:58 PM
^^^ his first sentence says that it cranks

1979 Impala Sport Coupe Aeroback
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search