Trunk Won't Open - 97 Cavy - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Trunk Won't Open - 97 Cavy
Wednesday, March 09, 2005 10:25 AM
I'm having problems getting my trunk open. My trunk won't open with the key from the outside, and in my cavy (97 Base) has no trunk popper and I can't get the trunk open.

The key will go in, but refuses to turn.

What's the deal here?

Thanks

Re: Trunk Won't Open - 97 Cavy
Wednesday, March 09, 2005 10:38 AM
I'm having the same problem with my '98 Cavalier, I'm wondering if the lock itself is bad. It's not frozen and has been going bad for quite a while. I think I have a bad lock cylinder, right now I'm debating on whether or not is worth it to do the work myself (my guess is NO, since it'll have to be re-matched to my key.

If you get anywhere with yours before I get anywhere with mine, please post the solution!!!!
Wednesday, March 09, 2005 11:10 AM
One other thing I completely forgot to ask. Try lubing the pins with graphite. That was my last step in my "search" for what could be wrong and it didn't work for mine, but it's worth a try for yours if you haven't checked that out already.
Wednesday, March 09, 2005 10:03 PM
Try to push down on your trunk while turning the key. If that does not work go in from the back seat and get a pair of pliers. Try to pull on the cord to open the trunk.
If you get it open....go from there. Check out the latching mechanism by tacking a screw driver and push on the latch that catches. Then try to turn the key. If it does not turn...take the arm off that connects to the latch from the cylinder. If the cylinder works then it is your latch.
Or better yet. Try your other key. It may be that that key is just worn out and won't work anymore. It happens sometimes LOL.
Good luck with it.

Thursday, March 10, 2005 9:14 PM
I had that problem on my 97 sunfire but i dont know if pulling the cable will help? instead crawl into trunk from back seat with A: a flashlight and B: a flat head screwdiver
on the locking mechanism [the box that the cable goes into] there is or at least was one on mine a small slot in a round piece of plastic mine was orange stick the screwdriver in there and turn it. you may also have to push up on trunk while turning then it should open as for fixing it im not sure how see the key turns and pulls cable witch in turn opens the latch. my dad said that the cable pulled a piece with a plastic notch the plastic notch broke so he screwed a small screw right were the notch had broke and it has worked fine since. sorry if this is confusing just trying to help
Friday, March 11, 2005 3:20 PM
Spartan mentioned that his 97 base model has no trunk popper; i have a 97 'fire GT, and the trunk release looks like it has a wire running from it to the front of the car. Is this a trunk release for the inside of the car? I've had the car for a year and haven't been able to find it, but that doesn't mean it isn't there. Any help?
Friday, March 11, 2005 7:56 PM
matt macphee wrote:Spartan mentioned that his 97 base model has no trunk popper; i have a 97 'fire GT, and the trunk release looks like it has a wire running from it to the front of the car. Is this a trunk release for the inside of the car? I've had the car for a year and haven't been able to find it, but that doesn't mean it isn't there. Any help?

IM not sure but look at the actual release box see the cable from the lock going to the box. now see if the wire your talking about is anywhere near there if not,and youve had the car for a year chances are it doesnt its not like you would not notice it after owning it for a year.

by the way mine has a wire back there its gray its for the light in the trunk and someothers in there for 3rd brake light NEway if it is nowhere near the release box then you probly not got a popper hope i can help
Saturday, March 12, 2005 10:19 AM
I had the same problem, i just sprayed some wd 40 inside there and it went away
Saturday, March 12, 2005 6:02 PM
Hmm....I have the same problem on my '99 Cav.

I never worried too much about it because I have a trunk release next to my driver's seat. I find it interesting that many other people are experiencing the same thing.

Consider it extra incentive to shave your trunk lock & make your rear end look purty

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines." -- Steven Wright
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search