Real Bad Vibration - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Real Bad Vibration
Wednesday, March 09, 2005 11:44 PM
I have a 99 Z24 with a few basic mods, tuner tube removed, custom CAI and upgraded exhaust.

Ive been having a problem with the car vibrating real bad around 70-75mph. When I get up to about 80mph, the car is vibrating so bad the the dash looks like it is going to snap and sit on the floor. It doesn't do it at idle, but does it whether or not the car is in gear or neutral. I have set the car up on jack stands and started the car and put in first gear, the wheels seem as if they aren't balance, I have taken the car in a couple times to make sure they are balanced.

I am thinking that either the tranny (5 Speed) or the front wheel bearing assembly is bad. Anyone have any info on what else would cause this? The part store down the street from me has 2 of the wheel bearing assemblies in stock for $45 a piece which is definitely worth it if they will actually fix the problem.

Thanks for the help,
Thomas
99 Z24
90 Eclipse GST

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Re: Real Bad Vibration
Thursday, March 10, 2005 6:25 AM
don't know, i have a sunfire gt w/ the 2.4 and i replaced the cv joints and everything you can name except the bearings and it does almost the same thing only it kicks in vibrating around 40mph maybe i need to do the same with the wheel bearings? anybody got some help for us? same prob?

Thursday, March 10, 2005 6:12 PM
Your tires need to be rebalienced. Just visit any Merchant's Tire.
Thursday, March 10, 2005 8:15 PM
balance the tires

Thursday, March 10, 2005 11:44 PM
Ive had mine balanced twice before, even gone as far as trying the rims off my buddy srt-4, still vibrates bad.

Friday, March 11, 2005 9:56 AM
Do you have engine mounts installed? When upgraded, they tend to cause excessive resonate vibrations at certain rpm's (in my car anyhow). Usually, it's when starting out and between shifts, however...

Hmmm... that being said...

Does your engine rock slightly in its bay? You may have "lost" one of the mounts.

Good luck.

L8r...

*** Need some 1995 Cavalier parts ???
*** FOR SALE: doors, windows, interior, engine parts, fenders, etc. -- email me
Friday, March 11, 2005 10:09 AM
The engine mounts are all good.. My dad was saying the other day that when he was driving it down the road he put in neutral and actually shut the engine off and it still vibrates really bad.
Things weve covered and know not the problem:
Tires are balanced
Mounts are not busted or "lost"
Engine balance shafts(still vibrates with engine off)

It doesnt just vibrate though it makes a loud grumbling noise as well thats why I suspect its the wheel bearings.

Thanks for the help so far,
Thomas
99 Z24
90 Eclipse GST

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search