can some help me - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
can some help me
Thursday, March 10, 2005 9:28 PM
i got a 97 cavalier 2.2 and its got 189,000kms on it and when im driving and when i change gears and give it gas and the car shakes and makes weird noises and i just did the head gasket and i put a new plugs in

Re: can some help me
Thursday, March 10, 2005 9:42 PM
George s wrote:i got a 97 cavalier 2.2 and its got 189,000kms on it and when im driving and when i change gears and give it gas and the car shakes and makes weird noises and i just did the head gasket and i put a new plugs in

with that many miles/kilometers on it, it could be anything. what exactly do you mean weird noises? how badly does it shake? have you checked your drive train ex. your CV joints is the boot torn does it pop when you accelerate? let me know the specifics and by the way with the head gasket and spark plugs I believe your way off IMHO
even if it does NEED those things i think you have a bigger problem on your hands
Thursday, March 10, 2005 9:56 PM
by the way could you explain to me how you consider your engine in mint condition with 189,000kms on it even if by some miracle it was your body is in no way mint condition
I have a 97 sunfire with 144,000 miles and its engine is in no way mint in fact even with a new head gasket i would only consider it fair. all of the 2.2s i have seen or rather heard. after they have say.... 100,000 miles thay all display a ticking noise at idle like lifters or somthing not loud just a subtle ticking noise. i cannot hear mine due to my dynomax low restriction bullet muffler not only did it gain say i dunno 2-3 hp it gives a strong throaty jet-like demonstration upon wot
Thursday, March 10, 2005 11:51 PM
i'm thinking your clutch. really don't know. i've got no eyes there.
Friday, March 11, 2005 10:48 AM

yes it does make a poping noise under head accerlation and when it shakes its rough like the engine is being lug but im around 3500 rpm when i shift.and it also makes a ticking noise
Friday, March 11, 2005 11:00 AM
dont really worry about the ticking mine does to, howerver if you hear popping under acceleration then i would check the cv joints and halfshaft. turn your wheel hard one direction and look at the boot on the transaxle if it is torn on either side then the cv joint is probly worn i dont have a standard so i suppose it could be your clutch as for shaking of the engine open the hood and have somone start the engine and rev it while your watching it if it shakes badly you may need new motor mounts if it doesnt i would think more of the transaxle because i bent one one time flying over a hill when i hit the passenger side wheel shook up and down like crazy i could barely drive 50mph I hope my mistakes will help you somehow
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search