Cavalier 2,2 1996, a few questions - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cavalier 2,2 1996, a few questions
Friday, February 25, 2005 3:42 AM
Hello gang,, Im new to this forum, although I have been reading it for a while.

I live in Iceland, (yup) and I have a Cavalier 1996, 2,2 auto 2 door,

I bought it 2 years ago, there was some valve lifters ticking in it when I bought it, (im a motorcycle mechanic so I know engines a little but I thought nothing of it, tried various cleaners but with no results.

Last night driving home from work, it started ticking louder and lost power, I was able to get it to 60~70mph (stopping and leaving the car was not an option) so I got home, tore the cylinder head off, (I was pretty sure one lifter had gone totally bad) and to my surprise the pistons and cyl walls were like new, but I am unable to see if the lifters are blown.. but im buying new anyway,,

so my questions are,, is the timing chain/tensioner weak in these cars? I have seen a few users on this forum talking about changing the tensioner every 30k miles, (mine has a 100k miles on it) and the second question, does anyone here have the tightening torque values for the cylinder head bolts?

best regards
gulag

Re: Cavalier 2,2 1996, a few questions
Friday, February 25, 2005 6:23 AM
yeah on the 2.2's they are a little more "weak" i got a 2.4 and i changed the cams, chain, tensioner, and the works a little after i got it (prolly 134,000 miles) couldn't tell ya the torque for the head on a 2.2 sorry

Friday, February 25, 2005 12:44 PM
Cylinder Head Bolts
Step 1
Short Bolts - 43 ft-lbs
Long Bolts - 46 ft-lbs
Step 2
Tighten an additional 90 degrees

Jay

One huge aluminum wing - $200
More vinyl graphics than your ride can handle - $150
Decals for products you don’t even have - $10
500lbs of Car Audio equipment in the trunk - $1500
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Getting slaughtered by a KIA - Priceless
Saturday, February 26, 2005 2:54 AM
thanks guys...

where would we be without these forums
Saturday, March 12, 2005 7:49 AM
well,, finally i Got the (darn) cam chain housing off, had to build a special tool to get the flywheel thingie off, and I found that the tensioner was broken to million pieces,,now I probably have to take the oil pan off to clean out the mess, but it should run smoothly tonight, new lifters, lifter rods and lots of other goodies,,

I bought all my parts from www.lakechevrolet.com I have bought from them before and I have to say the service there is 102%.. and the prices seem to be very competitive.. (no I dont work there)
Saturday, March 12, 2005 5:34 PM
The ticking is probably a result of oil starvation. This has scored the valves. My recemedation is to rebult the head.
Saturday, March 12, 2005 6:23 PM
Wow, I had no clue they have Cavys in Iceland...COOL do you have alot of them there??
Sunday, March 13, 2005 2:47 AM
well, the ticking was a combination of 2 things, the valve lifters were stuck, and the cam chain tensioner was broken, got it running last night and to my delight all the ticking was gone,, completely..

actually we dont have that many Cavis here, we have quite a few of the older ones, but of the newer ones I think less than 10 cars, but we have loads of the corvettes/camaros and firebirds..

the smaller american cars have never been very popular here, I think the reason is that we have to special order parts from the US, the dealers here suck.. I had a Chevy Van before, and when I called the dealer for some parts they told me it would be better for me just to order the parts myself over the internet.. weird business ...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search