ACID to clean parts, whats it called? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ACID to clean parts, whats it called?
Monday, March 14, 2005 2:23 PM
i while back i found a white jug of acid in my garage, it worked perfectly to clean rusty metal parts, i poured it on the metal, it started sizzeling and all the rust was disoloved....Does anyone know what the name of this acid, it was a long name, all i could remember it said acid on the hug....

Is there a particular metel that this should be used on?? i'm thinking of using it to clean my old dirty header

Re: ACID to clean parts, whats it called?
Monday, March 14, 2005 3:04 PM
Probably hydrochloric acid.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Monday, March 14, 2005 4:08 PM
that sounds familiar, thanks.....Any anyone know where i can pick some up? would hardware stores carry it?
Monday, March 14, 2005 5:40 PM
navel gel

1979 Impala Sport Coupe Aeroback
Monday, March 14, 2005 6:07 PM
Thats sounds like it works pretty well, but you have to be cautious about what you are actually using. Acid is some nasty stuff, and if your not careful you can do some serious damage to both yourself and whatever you are using it on.

I would hope that you are using it in a controlled environment with protective gear, such as gloves, goggles, mask, ect. I have seen some other stuff called "Parts Wash", its probably some type of acid also, but I have no idea how well it works.

My CarDomain Page
Monday, March 14, 2005 7:34 PM
it could have been muriatic (sp) acid it works well for removing mortar splatter from brick walls navel jelly would be safer and still do the trick, maybe not as fast buy definitely safer than most acids.

hydrochloric and hypochloric acids are used in cleaning agents usually at about 1% or less like bleach.

just play safe a respect the stuff whatever you use.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search