possible dead car? temp prob - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
possible dead car? temp prob
Saturday, March 12, 2005 1:48 PM
well i blew my head gasket a while ago and got everything replaced (full head gasket set/head bolts) the guy working on it said that i wasnt watching my dials but it never got past 4/5s on the temp guage(only once when i was stuck in really bad traffic(fn canada day)) this was fine until the past few days, the temp guage at idle has been moving past 1/2 up to about 3/4 and has got me a bit worried, anything i should check to make it so i dont blow anything else? the thermostat was recently changed too. while moving even [pushing hard the temp is at a nice level(better than before). any help would be appreciated(i drive ALOT). thanks

Ill get a pic of my car soon ;p
Team4

Re: possible dead car? temp prob
Saturday, March 12, 2005 5:30 PM
Be sure to change your radiator cap.
Saturday, March 12, 2005 7:25 PM
Try this, its very silmple

When it gets hot over the 1/2 Mark, open the hood and remove the Radiator plastic thing Cover OFF if its on and try to feel your RADIATOR with your Hands, but be VERY careful or you will burn your hands off, and try to check and see if Both Sides of the Radiator are HOT

if one side is HOT, but the other side is COLD and also causes the overflow to get hot and holding a lot of pressure, this mean the system is not circulating because its either your Radiator is not flowing coolant in traffic to the other side up to the water pump or the Thermostat is not opening.

if both sides of the radiator are HOT, and the car is overheating then it might be the headgasket but to be sure, You might want to do a Compression Test.
it should hold between 130psi to 150psi on each Cylinder but GM says anything over 100 is good.
And also make sure you get the same reading on all Cylinders.

Now,
if the compression test is Good!! and both sides of the radiator are hot, then you might want to check the water pump or any leaks causing the system to lose pressure.
The Cooling system circulates @ 8psi to 10psi if it loses too much pressure because of a leak, water pump or waterever then the car will overheat (specially in Traffic)

So,
Good Luck!!

Sunday, March 13, 2005 1:28 PM
sweet thanks for the info, it seems to only go over half when i first start driving and very rarely. i deliver pizzas and rove around all last night under 1/2. the oil i have in there right now is @!#$ so im puttin in some good stuff tomorrow. also the head was machined and presure tested when i did the head gasket so that should be ok. The thermostat was also replaced along with spark plugs(which dont affect much). so maybe im just being picky or my water pump may be goin? ill check to see if both sides of the rad are hot later tonight. thanks again

Ill get a pic of my car soon ;p
Team4
Monday, March 14, 2005 5:07 PM
if it goes over 1/2 195F both sides should be hot
really hot

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search