2200 oil filter - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2200 oil filter
Friday, March 18, 2005 9:28 AM
Okay, so with my old 97 cavy, doing an oil and filter change was a breeze compared to this. I now have a 2000 cavy with the 2.2 2200, and good god is it hard to get at that oil filter. Is there anything that I can do to make this easier? I've tried untwisting it with my hand, and unfortunately it's on there too tight. All the tools I have here are too long and can't even turn inside that small little area. Help!

Re: 2200 oil filter
Friday, March 18, 2005 11:41 AM
You could take it to Jiffy Lube and let them loosen the filter and do the oil first change for you. There are some filter wrenches that fit onto a 3/8" drive ratchet that work well and will get a good grip on the filter. There was one wrench I used that the harder you turned it the tighter it gripped.

God bless America.
Friday, March 18, 2005 12:00 PM
Yeah, the wrench that grips tighter is the one that I'm trying to use. Unfortunately the handle is too long. Since I've already put the new oil in, I might just take it to jiffy lube and have them change the filter for me. Hmm.

Friday, March 18, 2005 12:12 PM
correct me if im wrong, but once you remove the filter your new oil will come spewing out...maybe you should have had them change your filter BEFORE you changed your oil.

this useless post brought to you by the alcoholic known as LUNDiS

Friday, March 18, 2005 5:39 PM
if you take the fenderliner off, both pieces, it is like 8 or so 7mm bolts, you have EASY ACCESS to the oil filter, takes about 10 min to do, but if ya don't have a filter wrench to get it off, then that will solve your problem
Friday, March 18, 2005 5:57 PM
You could do it the ghetto style way.....Take a long thick screwdriver and stab it through the filter, then just twist. personally, my filter was so loose i unscrewed it with no problem. Good luck

"Official Jewish J-Body"
Friday, March 18, 2005 10:49 PM
Put the wrech on the other side of the filter if you are going at it from the top.

^^Home made sig^^ ghetto, I know. http://members.cardomain.com/blackoutfire
Saturday, March 19, 2005 4:41 AM
here's what I used to do. I'd take a strap wrench and with my right hand, put it through the wheel well. There's the hole where the steering comes through. Then with my left hand, i'd guide the strap onto the filter and use it to kinda help get it off. Try that, you'll figure it out. Either way it's a PTIA.

Saturday, March 19, 2005 2:42 PM
RandomGuy 171 wrote:Yeah, the wrench that grips tighter is the one that I'm trying to use. Unfortunately the handle is too long. Since I've already put the new oil in, I might just take it to jiffy lube and have them change the filter for me. Hmm.

try using a belt the same way with a screwdriver as a handle....

ive done this before broke a few belt doing it so dont do it with a good belt.....it will work.

http://members.cardomain.com/mattlb2200
Saturday, March 19, 2005 3:46 PM
i use a oil fitler pliers, and go threw the wheel well. But I do it on a hoist. Its not that bad once you do it about fifty times.

1979 Impala Sport Coupe Aeroback
Saturday, March 19, 2005 4:16 PM
you all are missing the point, it is to tight for him, and lacking a proper tool, thats his issue

Saturday, March 19, 2005 5:04 PM
oil lifter pilers ten bucks any where

1979 Impala Sport Coupe Aeroback
Saturday, March 19, 2005 6:29 PM
as a lube shop manager for 4 years and a licenced tech i have found a coupel of tricks
if you use a small peace of sand paper cupped in your hand you can use less griping force and more twisting force, works most of the time unless your 100 lbs wet and have no upper body strainght (kidding) try it
if you have that pesky abs computer on the strut tower/fire wall take it off and go at it from the top its easer then trying to get around the trans or cutting your forearm on the inner fender
good luck

and you will not loose any oil from the crank when you take the filter off only whats in the filter bought .3 L

isopropyl's hubby
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search