CEL turned off?! - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
CEL turned off?!
Tuesday, March 22, 2005 4:32 AM
So here's the deal.

I have a 2.25 system, res, magnaflow cat (part number 91035), and pacesetter header. I have been throwing a code, number P0420- Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1. Event told me he had this same problem. Apparently, the header makes the exhaust gasses too hot for the cat, and melts the inside of the cat a little, therfore, not being able to do its job. He told me that he replaced his cat with magnaflow part number 94035, which is the same as the one i have, but 3 inches longer. By doing this, some of the catalyst will melt,but enough will remain for the converter to do its job and not throw a CEL.

now the question- my CEL turned off yesterday. I have done nothing to my exhaust as far as trying to fix the problem. I replaced my o2 sensor a while ago, and the code came back, so i know its not the sensor. why would my CEL just turn off without me fixing the problem?

Land Pirates sail the open roads
DISCLAIMER: If anything I say offends you, I don't care..wear a helmet. Also, the information
I post is what I know to the best of my knowledge. If I am wrong, please correct me so that
others as well as myself may learn.
Premium sinc 6-17-04

Re: CEL turned off?!
Tuesday, March 22, 2005 6:05 AM
The sensor could have started functioning again. The CEL's will automatically clear after 3 full driving cycles if the problem is fixed, but the code does remain in memory.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Re: CEL turned off?!
Tuesday, March 22, 2005 7:03 AM
hmmmm. but if what event was telling me is true, then it is the cat which is the problem, not the sensor, and i didnt change the cat. also, i changed the sensor months ago, and had no problems for a few weeks, then had the light for a few months until yesterday

Land Pirates sail the open roads
DISCLAIMER: If anything I say offends you, I don't care..wear a helmet. Also, the information
I post is what I know to the best of my knowledge. If I am wrong, please correct me so that
others as well as myself may learn.
Premium sinc 6-17-04
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search