Instrument Cluster Swap - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Instrument Cluster Swap
Tuesday, March 22, 2005 7:16 PM
Ok, go figure this one out. I have a 97 Cav bone stock, Power nuthin. It's a 5 spd. without a tach. I even know of cars with an auto tranny WITH a tach!?!?!
Anyhow, I am wondering if I can swap out the instrument cluster w/o a tach to one with a tach. I am new to the Cavalier scene and don't know diddly about them. (last car was an 87 Mistu Starion(I miss that car)) but I'm a big do-it-yourselfer and can't afford a dealership service manual yet.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Instrument Cluster Swap
Tuesday, March 22, 2005 8:17 PM
Yes any cavalier from 1996 to 1998 with a mechanical odometer will fit right in and work, all you have to do is open up the back of your old cluster take out the tumblers (odometer dial) and put it in the new cluster.

Some 1998's had a digital odometer so you can't use them because the mileage is stored in the cluster itself so you would have to send it off to get the mileage changed to your cars correct mileage.

Tuesday, March 22, 2005 8:59 PM
yeah cavs have little things like that it was an option every sunfire had tachs

JBO since July 30, 2001
Tuesday, March 22, 2005 9:58 PM
so, since the dealer@!#$ here are jack ass' and won't even aggree that a cluster swap is able to be done, and i am using a 97 cluster in my 99, and they wouldn't tell me any places to get it calibrated,, ANYONE know a place to send it off to, or contact? thanks
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search