QUICK HELP broke wheel bearing !!!1 - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
QUICK HELP broke wheel bearing !!!1
Wednesday, March 23, 2005 8:29 PM
Lately I have been having lots of trouble since i put my 18s and agx with pro kit.
the car is vibrating like crazy, one time when i had just put the rims, one of them came out while driving (pretty scary thing), anyways the shaking continued i had it aligned and it didnt work, I finally bought new tires, (which are getting mounted tomorrow) and hopefully will solve the vibration.
OK THE POINT IS I was making sure that the bolts where really tight on the rim, and I jupmed so much to tight it that one of the heads of the wheel bearing broke.
Is it ok to stay for a while with only 4 lugs on one tire, or should I buy a new bearing RIGHT AWAY
thanks

Re: QUICK HELP broke wheel bearing !!!1
Thursday, March 24, 2005 7:55 AM
You do not need a new wheel bearing, you can buy just a new stud. Pound out the old one, it is splined in. Use a punch and a hamer and pound it out through the back of the plate. Put the new one in and use the wheel lug nut to pull the new one in and seat it. I would not drive too long on just 4, there are 5 there for a reason!

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence you tried!
Thursday, March 24, 2005 9:44 AM
Personally I would remove that front bearing and then properly support the area the stud is mounted in before pounding on it with a hammer. I know you are having trouble with shaking so it is possible that the entire bearing is bad if the new tires don't help the vibration problem.
I pounded out my stud with a hammer and then I had a vibration problem which I found out was the bearing had gone bad because I installed the stud improperly without removing the front bearing from the car. I am just trying to say that in your instance that you may need the entire bear assembly with the new studs to fix the vibration problem. Best of luck no matter what you do.
You can ask for a Axle socket at NAPPA I believe 30mm will work. You might have to order one and they are around $17.
The torque is 200 lbs so you will need an extension for your breaker bar. I used a pipe on my 1/2 breaker bar to get it to budge.
Thursday, March 24, 2005 5:52 PM
i paid a shop to replace a wheel stud last week.... $45 CDN... i watched him do it, it was easy as pie..... i woulda done it myself and saved the $45
Thursday, March 24, 2005 6:30 PM
How fast are your going when the vibration starts? If it's on the highway or higher speeds, have them rebalanced. I worked in a tire shop and i can't remember how many times people bought tires and wheels at another shop, only to have them put weights on one side of the wheel. If you have to, ask for an aluminum optimized balance
Sunday, March 27, 2005 1:41 PM
jack your car up and shake your tire if the tire moves more then the car the hub asembly is bad i just replaced mine for the 3rd time, bigger rims will make them fail faster hitting a small pot hole on stock 14's/15's is like hitting a uncovered manhole on 18's the stress points just explode and will make you think you blew a tire. u can put on a camber kit to make this not as harsh on your hub asembly.
Tuesday, March 29, 2005 3:28 PM
I already change the tires, the vibration stopped a little, but it comes fron time to time when Im going at like 40mph.
So im comfsed here, should I change the whole bearing or just the wheel stud. It seems its pretty easy to fix...
Im sure that wont stop the vivration?
What should I do?
Saturday, April 16, 2005 10:20 PM
Bump...

Yes i am having some vibrating issues. I used to be lowered on dropzone springs and OEM struts. When i would accelerate, and the car would shift gears, the front end would shudder then as i got faster spin its self out untill i got into high speeds like 60+, I rode like that for a good 5 months. I figure it was the shot struts and crappy springs. I put my Prokit and AGX's on thinking this would solve the problem. It fixed the acceleration shudders but i still have really bad high speed Vibrations that make it feel like the wheel is going to fall off. I had new tires mounted to my 17's and balanced at firestone. The damn vibs are still there. I had the dealership look at it, and after them blaming my summer rims, i threw the stockers back on to prove to them its somthing more than larger wheels. They drove my car on a lift and the tech noticed, that my driver side wheel when spinning was running outta wack. It was running back and forth in and out towards the engine really quick. But he dosn't know whats causing it to do this. He said my drive shaft was staying flat and no noticable vibs comming from those. My passenger side was doing the same, but not as bad as the driver. When i put my hand on my fender and they were spinning them, it was the vibs i was feeling in the steering wheel. But with my tires on the car, i cannot move them in any direction nor do i get any noise. Since my car is lowered, my extended warrenty will not cover new hub assemblys. If they do not have the usual signs like humming or being able to shake them while mounted, can it be them or somthing else.

Also in the morning when i start to drive, my car feel like i am driving on a flat for a while than that runs its self out. All the tires are brand new and are fully inflated. I am lost!.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search