Better Mobil 1?? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Better Mobil 1??
Friday, March 25, 2005 8:02 PM
I noticed that Mobil 1 has this extended oil out ( yes, I don't get out much. )

Has anyone tried it yet it? Anything good to say? Worth the extra cash?

My wife's cav runs on Mobil 1, and it does just fine.......

Re: Better Mobil 1??
Friday, March 25, 2005 9:36 PM
I think it is such a new product at this time no one could say how good it is especially if you have to put 15,000 miles on the longest extended Mobil 1 oil to really know. Amsoil has been doing this for years but most people on here believe in the 3000 mile oil change intervals.
Friday, March 25, 2005 10:48 PM
well, anyone that runs there oil longer than 5000km is an idiot in my books. if you want to run the same oil longer thats up to you, but atleast change the damn filter every 5K

Saturday, March 26, 2005 3:38 PM
ya know that all depends on where you live and what kind of driving you do. if you stuck like me with allot of stop and go driving every 3000 miles is a good thing (sorry don't know the conversion for kilometers) however where i used to live in the country where there were only 3 traffic lights in the whole town and there was allot of wide open spaces 5000 miles is more than acceptable. and i think everyone knows(or should) that if you didn't change the filter you wasted your time doing the oil change.

Saturday, March 26, 2005 9:15 PM
Manitoba Motorsports wrote:well, anyone that runs there oil longer than 5000km is an idiot in my books. if you want to run the same oil longer thats up to you, but atleast change the damn filter every 5K

I have to agree with that. Even with Mobil 1 in my wife's car. I still change it at or around
3k, because of the stop and go driving...

Makes my wonder if it protects any better...

Saturday, March 26, 2005 10:59 PM
Let me tell you, not changing over 3-6K miles is ridiculous. For example at work, Mercedes uses a oil monitor to tell you when to change the oil (over engineering IMO) and there was a lady that brought it in at 13K with out an oil change.
Needless to say, it was pure tar, the mechanics had to use mineral spirits and other solution to clean the internals I had to order a oil pan for her. All because she was following the stupid oil life monitor from Benz.
My point and advice is don't go actually with 10K-15K per oil change with these "extended life oil." The idea here is to save on oil changes, but in the long term you are wasting more money repairing then if you'd change the oil at every 3-6K (city/HW) miles

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Sunday, March 27, 2005 5:27 PM
G.T- Ouch!

I know my oil is nowhere near that. (plus being babied help too). Just in case though,
I plan to keep my trips local and being easy on it. So as soon as I can, I'll run it in to
get its' first oil change. (plus, I want the dealership to look into a few issues...)

I gotta change the other cavs oil first. I just got the oil for both my wife's cav and my
wagon (it really needs a oil change) since I drive em' more.

I guess if you were leasing, it would be ok....

Of course it would be me to use the 15k stuff and still change it at 3k because it
protects better,,,,

Sunday, March 27, 2005 7:13 PM
I've been using Amsoil full synthetic since the first oil change on my car(almost 3 years). I've been changing the filter every 5k and the oil every 10k, and have yet to have a single problem. At 10k the oil looked a little darker than it did when it was new, but it still had the same viscosity as when it was new. I even cut open my filters to look for little particles or metal shavings and there are none. So, either I'm just lucky, or synthetic really does have a loger drain interval that standard.

Sunday, March 27, 2005 7:41 PM
my fathers Chevy Suburban hasn't had an oil change in about 50 000 km, every 2 weeks he adds a quart or 2, some times 3. the oil looks like tar. but both him and i think that if we change the oil, the motor will finally die. the diff is almost gone, the CV joints on the drive shaft are also almost gone, and the motor is on its last legs. personally I'm surprised that it has lasted this long, we had the truck for 4-5 years now, and according to the tag, the oil was last changed in 1995, about 40 000 km- 50 000km ago. and if you do not change the oil ever 5000km or 3000mil, then you are supposed to change the oil ever 3 months. otherwise the oil will start to break down and lose its ability to bond with critical engine components, and essentially do the exact same as dirty/old oil (old meaning 3000mils or 5000km.) if anyone takes a look at my name, and recognizes it, then you will know that i am the one always in the audio topics speaking my mine. and i may not know what i am talking about in that topic, but engines i do know. and that new Mobile 1 oils that last 5000, 7500, and 15000 km i think is b&%%#@^t. even if the oil lasts 15000km that is equivalent to at least 3 oil changes, and that is close to 9 months for me, and that is way to long in my mind to go without one oil change. but if there is a Guarantee on this product, and the engine dies within that time frame, then they are obligated to supply you with a new engine right. so really, what do you guys have to lose. but only if there is a Guarantee, and i would phone them up and ask that question before loading up MY engine with that stuff.

Travis Nobert
Travis Enterprise
Come on down to Evolution Audio in Edmonton Alberta, and I can HOOK YOU UP.
Monday, March 28, 2005 5:37 PM
the big difference is the grade of synthetic. yes there are different grades of synthetic. regualr mobil 1 is more of a synthetic blend...it uses natural base stocks added to synthetic additives. you can thank a law suit lost to castrol(i think it was) for being able to call these blends a synthetic. that mobil 1 extended life stuff (the 15k mile kind) is a true synthetic...more closely related to amsoil and redline. i myself wouldnt leave ANY oil in my car for 15,000 miles...however i am using the extended life mobil 1 and changing oil and filter at 5,000 miles. also i tend to average about 70% highway/higher speed (over 60 mph) driving with relatively little stop and go. if i was in more city traffic i think i might not wait 5k miles. another thing to keep in mind is that the 3000 mile standard was devised quite a long time ago, and many generations of oil have been developed since. im not saying that all oils can/should go over 3k miles, i believe that when using a good quality of synthetic you can go 4 or 5k without any problem. this of course is depending on driving conditions and environmental conditions, heat and city driving being the worst of both.

Join verbalwarfare.com

http://www.verbalwarfare.com/forum.php?referrerid=86

Monday, March 28, 2005 5:40 PM
on a side note...at my work we had(sold recently, still running no smoke) a fleet truck that has gone over 350, 000 miles and it was lucky to get the oil changed every 7-10k, and all it got was castrol 20w50. we also have 2 trucks that have over 200,000 miles with the same service habits. all our trucks are chevrolet 1500/2500 pick-ups with 5.7L engines. we wont even get into how many alternators, radiators, water pumps and transmissions they have gone through...

Join verbalwarfare.com

http://www.verbalwarfare.com/forum.php?referrerid=86

Tuesday, March 29, 2005 8:37 AM
okay, perhaps big rig and little pickup trucks are completly different, cuz my dad's truck (Big Rig) and all the big rigs at the company that he works for, oil filter change every 5 000 Hours, oil and oil filter every 10 000 Hours. my father will put on about 500 - 1 000 km on his truck every day or two, but only about 18-20 hours per day, once in a while about 16 - 18 hours/day. while the pickup truck filled with there requemended weight of oil every 5000 km, or around there. yes i will agree when your with a company like that then it is a bit hard to get the trucks in for there maitnance check every 5 000 km, but most of the time people try to make it happen when it is suposed to.

Travis Nobert
Travis Enterprise
Come on down to Evolution Audio in Edmonton Alberta, and I can HOOK YOU UP.
Tuesday, March 29, 2005 1:51 PM
Quote:

well, anyone that runs there oil longer than 5000km is an idiot in my books. if you want to run the same oil longer thats up to you, but atleast change the damn filter every 5K
Both mobil 1 and AAA have stated that only heavy use vichiles like cop cars and delevory vans need the 3K oil can. Places like Jiffy Lube and other shops have made this 3K limit on ANY oil because of money. I work at a J.L. and I could tell you that 90% of the 3k oil we drain is clean and that the oil change business lies alot to people.

Team Tach Out
Http://www.team-tachout.com/
Falmouth,VA
Tuesday, March 29, 2005 5:09 PM
I change my oil religiously every 3k. regardles of what oil you use, you're still going to get foriegn particles in the engine--through combustion or otherwise--and your oil is the only thing that cleans it out.

better safe than sorry, imho.

Goodbye Callisto & Skađi, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Tuesday, March 29, 2005 10:17 PM
[quote=Keeper of the Light™]I change my oil religiously every 3k. regardles of what oil you use, you're still going to get foriegn particles in the engine--through combustion or otherwise--and your oil is the only thing that cleans it out.

better safe than sorry, imho.

Very true...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search