Brake scraping sound - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Brake scraping sound
Monday, March 28, 2005 3:31 PM
Well I think my brakes have finally had it. Over the past two weeks I've noticed the pedal feel get a lot stiffer, and since yesterday there has been a slight scraping sound coming from around the front wheels sometimes when I'm decelerating. I'm guessing that my front pads have worn down completely without going through the "squealing" phase.

Is it possible that the brake pads on my car are cheap aftermarket replacements that don't have the "squeal" feature? Is it possible that my rotors are damaged? I have no doubt that my brakes are ready to be replaced because they've been on for at least 45,000 miles , but I don't want to dish out cash for rotors if I don't have to. I'm bringing it in to the dealership tomorrow and I'm betting they will want me to replace the rotors.

Also, should I get the rear drums checked? Do they generally last longer than the fronts?

Thanks in advance

"I have a white car but my freind has a black car, and his car is faster than my car.
Does that mean Black cars are always faster than white cars?
But my dog is white and it beat a black dog in a race, so does that
mean that everything for dogs is opposite than for cars...........
p.s. where do you check the oil on a dog?.....i am so confused" - Nash

Re: Brake scraping sound
Monday, March 28, 2005 3:38 PM
yes, yes, yes, and yes
Re: Brake scraping sound
Monday, March 28, 2005 4:59 PM
I'm not even going to read your post, I'm just going to tell you you need new pads and rotors, because you've burned right through the pads, and all thats grabbing your rotors when you put on the brakes is the metal backing plate. That is to say, you've been clamping a clunk of metal down on your rotors everytime you stop. I did the same thing like 2 or 3 months ago. Took the "pads" out, just burnt ass mashed up pieces of metal, and two very gouged rotors. They were making a terrible scrapping noise too.

That cop took the whole thing way out of context. I mean, I was only going 145 Km/h in that
80 km/h zone because I was drunk and I wanted to get off the roads.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search