Engine code and i also stalled 3 times - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Engine code and i also stalled 3 times
Tuesday, March 22, 2005 6:26 PM
Alright the cars stalled out 3 times so far, today happening while goin 40 and not stopped. Im also throwing an engine code which i got checked at autozone today and it threw a P0502 - Vehicle Speed Sensor A Circuit low Input. Does the dancing speedo, that sensor, and my stalls sound all related and anyone have any idea? I thought it was my attepts at installing the shift light but i unistalled it and sodered the connection together and i wouldnt see why it would be causing the problem. Any other ideas?

-----------------------------------------------------

98' Pontiac Sunfire SE

Re: Engine code and i also stalled 3 times
Tuesday, March 22, 2005 7:36 PM
man im so stumped....

98' Pontiac Sunfire SE

Wednesday, March 23, 2005 11:57 AM
i cant understand this im so any ideas plase? Im just about to take it to chevy and just give up........... I smell 500 dollars down tha @!#$ta

98' Pontiac Sunfire SE

Wednesday, March 23, 2005 3:06 PM
To me it sounds like there's metal shavings from the differential all over the magnetic speed sensor in the tranny causing circut low voltage and your dancing speedo, But that wouldn't cause stalling I don't think, but then again it might.
Wednesday, March 23, 2005 3:24 PM
i did go to the track previous to the @!#$ goin on.... i have grindin or popin of some sort from down below my feet when i drive. Maybe?

98' Pontiac Sunfire SE

Thursday, March 24, 2005 9:42 AM
Is the grinding and popin only happening while your moving or does it do it at idle too? And if you notice it starting to stall, see if putting it back into neutral brings the revs back to normal idle speed. If I were betting, my money would be on the differential got shot while launching at the track. Others have had the soft diff problem with the 5spd Isuzu. (It really doesn't like those 1 wheel burnouts)
Nobody else has any thoughts?
Thursday, March 24, 2005 3:57 PM
The grinding happens when turning the wheel, and there also noise when starting to roll. It also happens occasionally at lower speeds when i let off or step on the gas. Im just taking the car to chevy tomorrow. Im fed up with it.... I might just have them replace the car with a cobalt... And the car has died both while rolling, i may have been on the clutch and braking, and while sitting at a light. I dont remember how the shifter or clutch was.

98' Pontiac Sunfire SE

Thursday, March 24, 2005 5:55 PM
by the sounds of it your diff is on its way out too....i know when i had noises like a rattling when coasting and rolling it was my diff.....expect an expensive bill with that one. the stalling i have no clue

Check Cardomain for PICS
Thursday, March 24, 2005 5:58 PM
im already sick thinking about the possibilities....

98' Pontiac Sunfire SE

Thursday, March 24, 2005 6:10 PM
Same @!#$ happened to me... take the VSS connector off the Speed Sensor, take a needle and widen the connectors so that when you put the connector back on the VSS it's a snug fit.
My speedo would go up and down and so would my tach, then at times my @!#$ wouldn't shift to second, etc. I spent a lil over $600 going from Chevy dealership to private dealership to get it checked out until one guy just open all of my connectors so they would fit VERY TIGHT and now it works fine!
Friday, March 25, 2005 10:43 AM
Alright... update! I took the car to chevy this morning so they have it. They quoted 100 to look at why the speedo was dancing and 180 to look at the cause of stalling. So, we will see how that goes. Ill let you know.

98' Pontiac Sunfire SE

Friday, March 25, 2005 11:39 AM
Another update......... so far it appears your right ben! They pulled the sensor and it did have metal on it. They want to pull the tranny and replace @!#$. They quoted me 900 just to pull it. I had to pull the plug on them there so they are just gona clean the sensor and clear the codes and wish me the best of luck. Could that relate to why the cars stalling though?

-------:? whyy didnt i check that sensor first... lol

98' Pontiac Sunfire SE

Friday, March 25, 2005 2:16 PM
Bro I swear to god, when I took my car in to Chevy they pulled out the VSS and saw metal too, they told me it might be the Speed sensor in the tranny. They replaced the VSS and it didn't do anything. I swapped three diff. trannies and had the exact same problem happening. Do me one favor... just pull off the connector to the speed sensor behind your engine on the pass. side (with the purp and yellow wire) take a needle and put under the metal connectors inside to make them open wider (if you need me to make a diagram of this I will so you can better understand it) make sure you do it to both. Then put it back on the VSS and try your car out. If you want proof that I went through the exact same thing I will scan and e-mail you all of the recipts. First they said it was the VSS, then they said it was the tranny b/c it had metal on the VSS, then they replaced the VSS and wanted to replace the tranny. The next Chevy dealership said it was the VSS inside the tranny, I got the tranny swapped... same problem, then they reprogram my computer.... same problem, then the last local shop the guy opened my connectors to make them wider and vola, all works well.

It take 5 min. just slide under your car, pull the VSS plug off (don't take out the VSS, just take off the connector w/ the 2 wires)
Widen them up so it looks like no matter what when you plug that sucker on the connectors will touch,
then post and let me know if I'm completely crazy

Friday, March 25, 2005 5:18 PM
nice sig by the way.... well ill have to see about maybe bending out some clips... I took my car there, and got it back today. So far no speedo float or engine codes. But i did notice the rpms dropped like twice down to about 600 when i stopped. We will see... they said there was masive deposits of metal and oil on the vss sensor and needed to open the tranny up. We will see..... ahhhhh ill never go to the track again!

98' Pontiac Sunfire SE

Friday, March 25, 2005 7:13 PM
HI Jared, may be i could help you about your stalling problem. (sorry for my bad english) First, try to know what's happening when you stalled: your car need spark, fuel, compression and timing (timing works by computer for a sunfire) to start and works. When you stalled, are you able to restart your car? if not, remove a spark plug connection to the spark plug and put it on the motor and look if you have fire to each. I think you have a small hole on your motor heat to see you fuel pressure.

If you could restart your car after a stall, take a look to your crank and cam sensor for possible rust or bad connection because you should have it to run your car.

Your rpm should be approximately at 750 to the idle at good working temperature, if not, look to all temperature sensors. (because car computer give higher idle when the car is cold, may be a sensor give a bad informations about temperature).
Give me some news...
Monday, March 28, 2005 4:43 PM
The diff could be causing the stalling if there is a lot of chewed up diff metal in there, and it would only stall while moving with the clutch at least a little engaged. And the resistance would be in the diff so it would be more likely to stall around corners when the right and left axles are trying to spin at different speeds.

Yeah and idle should be at 900 warmed up.

Rebuilt manuals go for around 400 check out ebay or wreckers for used ones, and maybe throw in a diff from the older (90-94 storm, impulse,& stylus, or 85-88 fiero) isuzu trannys, they're made of harder metal.

If its sputtering or stalling in neutral its something besides the diff.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search