2.2 timing chain - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.2 timing chain
Tuesday, March 29, 2005 8:05 AM
Here's the story.
My brothers 95 sunfire(2.2 code 4)died on him.He brought it to a local shop and was told there was no compression.He then towed it to me.
Cranking the engine,it would backfire.Timing chain shot,so I replaced it.Same thing.Found that all valves were bent and I replaced them.
I still can't get it to start(backfires)
The thing is,timing chain marks line up to what?
I have read the archives and GM manuals and chilton's,everybody says different things.

Lining the dot on crank gear straight up to the hole on cam gear-hard cranking/intake backfire
lining them up to the tensioner cut outs(sort of offset) same thing
Even the GM manual says to have (get this) the cam gear 90 degrees to the right-pistons touch valves!

the firing order is correct,and the car was running good up to that point.
What am I overlooking? I have over 30 hours into what should have been a 8 hour job max.

Re: 2.2 timing chain
Tuesday, March 29, 2005 10:40 AM
Take the hole on the cam gear and line it up with the mark on the crank gear. You may have to rotate the engine several times to get it perfect. Once you get it there, put the chain on and pull the pin out of the tensioner.

You should be able to run a straight edge across the pin and hole and have it line up perfectly. If it isn't, then keep rotating.

Tuesday, March 29, 2005 12:22 PM
this may sound stupid but could it be out of time 180 degrees? This happened once to us on our 355 V8...be kinda hard to tell though on the 2.2 having no distributor...i dont know if this could happen to a 2.2 or not, but its just an idea..
Tuesday, March 29, 2005 1:45 PM
Spin the crank for times then start it up. Do another comp test to see if the pistons have been damaged. It sounds like the timing chain slipped and crushed the valves.

Team Tach Out
Http://www.team-tachout.com/
Falmouth,VA
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search