My '98 Cav engine does not start - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
My '98 Cav engine does not start
Tuesday, March 29, 2005 6:46 PM
Good evening!

I own a '98 VIN-4 Cavalier. This is a 4-door, 2.2 litre manual tranny vehicle.

Last Wednesday, I went to gas station and filled the gas tank. Next Saturday, when I tried to start the engine, I turned the key, but, the starter did not work. All dash lights show OK results, all fuses and relays (all) are OK. The car was not having a problem before. All of the car resembled OK.

At first, and after making sure the battery is OK, I bypassed the clutch pedal switch (the engine does not start if the clutch pedal is not fully depressed because of an electrical switch). But this did not solve the problem. So, the switch is not the problem.

Then, I found that, having the clutch switch bypassed, if I go to the starter engine and have the two positive posts in short circuit (as the key at the steering column is supposed to do), the engine comes alive normally.

I searched at Chilton's book, and the electric diagram shows that there is nothing between the steering column key-switch ant the starter engine.

But, I own the car since it was new, and I keep it on very good shape (only 65.000 km - 40.000 miles), and there is not a trace of dirt on the steering column switch. And never before I have had such a problem like this.

Any ideas? Are welcome. I disassembled the wire connector at the steering column switch, and checked the "right key sensor" ( a sensor that prevents the use of a non approved key), but I don't know what 2 or more cables must be in contact in order to make the start circuit complete (If I could make this and the car comes alive, then the ignition switch is the cause of the problem).

Best regards from Costa Rica,

Luis Montero
***************all

Re: My '98 Cav engine does not start
Saturday, April 02, 2005 6:44 AM
No replies?

Saturday, April 02, 2005 7:34 AM
why not just replace the ignition switch?

HONDAS ARE LIKE TAMPONS…EVERY PU**Y NEEDS ONE!
Saturday, April 02, 2005 7:44 AM
Unbolt your starter, and put it away from the flywheel. Then turn the key, if the starter spins than you have got a bigger problem, if the starter doesn't spin. Take it somewhere to get tested, you will probably need to get a new starter.

You can always put a jumper wire from the positive on the battery and then on your starter. If the engine starts then your problem is the wire, and not the starter motor.

Saturday, April 02, 2005 10:45 AM
Dennis:

I don't think the ignition switch is the problem. For my experience, when an ignition switch needs to be replaced, at first performs inconsistently: one time it works, next time does not work. etc.

Some guy told me that, perhaps, there is a "fusible link" between the starting switch and the starter.

Sam:

Yes. I'll try what I said to Dennis. Next step is to have the starter tested and/or serviced.

Y'all:
This is a strange behavior. I've owned some 15 cars, and nothing was like this. This car is almost in perfect condition. I'm amazed

Regards from Costa Rica,

Luis

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search