Exhaust leaking coolant? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Exhaust leaking coolant?
Friday, April 01, 2005 2:02 PM
I know everyone that read the subject said "head gasket"! But i've drained the oil and it's fine...no chocolate milk. I also did a compression check on all the cylinders and they're fine. Theres no white smoke coming out of the exhaust at all. So I'm stumped guys. The coolant is coming out profusely (it's actually coming out of a crack in the exhaust pipe after the cat just before the actual muffler. I don't understand how water could be getting into the system. I seriously doubt the cat can produce that much water. Any ideas?

Re: Exhaust leaking coolant?
Friday, April 01, 2005 3:33 PM
is the leak actually coolant or water ??

and are you actually loosing any coolant ??

just cause a head gasket blows doesnt mean the coolant will mix with the oil , it all depends where the gasket blew at

also its possible that the head has a crack in the exhaust port , and is leaking that way if its coolant that is coming out

but usually coolant leaking into the exhaust will cause steam/smoke out the back and have a odd sweet smell to it

Friday, April 01, 2005 4:47 PM
Well there's only water in the system, so it's water coming out. There is coolant loss, but the lower radiator hose is leaking a little also.
Friday, April 01, 2005 5:52 PM
it could be a internal intake or throttle body leak, but very unlikely with these cars. I say it is most likely a head gasket, how else could water get in to the system other then normal moisture in then exhaust system. Pressurize the system and pull your plugs and see if you have water in the cambers.

1979 Impala Sport Coupe Aeroback
Saturday, April 02, 2005 10:27 AM
if its only water in there than how do you know it's not burning coolant. the water wouldn't burn white. if you use your a/c, a lot more condensation comes out and its just normal. i guess how much is profusely?

When changing gears in life, remember Find 'em, don't Grind 'em.
2003 Silver LS Sport Coupe 5-speed
Saturday, April 02, 2005 10:52 AM
Try to turn off the A/C. If the water goes off, your problem is that you A/C drain is over the muffler

Saturday, April 02, 2005 11:41 AM
You wouldn't believe how much water can come out of the exhaust. There's alot of water when the engine is cold.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Monday, April 04, 2005 6:50 AM
I've had this same "problem" 5 years ago, and the car was at a "pit stop" (due to an accident, I had to repair two doors and front and rear fenders). When a friend of mine drove the car to my home, I was on another car, behind the Cavy, and the amount of water running out of the muffler was like an open pipe. Not steam, but liquid water. I think 2 gallons of water were inside of the muffler.

But, no damage to the car, except for the need for a new silencer (the older was totally stained) -one made from stainless steel-.

Regards from Costa Rica

Luis A. Montero

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search