Engine Question - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Engine Question
Wednesday, March 16, 2005 4:38 PM
I'm new, so bear with me if this question has been asked before . I've got a 2000 Cavalier 2.2L OHV with 114,000 miles on it. When the car is just idling (like at a stop light) the engine runs kinda rough, and you can feel the vibration throughout the car. It will run ok for maybe 5-6 seconds and then it will jump (I don't know any other way to describe it lol), and then it runs good again for another 5-6 sec. and on and on. I don't know that much about cars, but I was wondering if this may be a simple problem, or if I should have a mechanic look at it?

Also, my car is getting bad gas milage (only 250-290 miles per tank if I don't drive hard, I think it's supposed to get around 380 mpt). My friend said that that may be the fuel filter, so i'll get that changed, but is there anything else I should check or have checked?

Thanks in advance for any help.

lalalala

Re: Engine Question
Wednesday, March 16, 2005 5:03 PM
all that may be your fuel filter the idling and all..but I'm not an expert or anything but it wouldnt hurt to have it changed
Wednesday, March 16, 2005 7:42 PM
I'd lean more towards the IAT sensor or MAP sensor.

Wednesday, March 16, 2005 8:39 PM
yep, or an O2 sensor....no CEL?

After downshifting into 3rd, and redlining, might as well find 4th and find the speed limiter....its therapeutic.
Thursday, March 17, 2005 7:08 AM
how many gallons are you putting in? It all depends on how you drive and where you are. Like ... if you drive like an ass and go up to 5k rpm everytime ... then your milage is where it should be and if you live in a area where you are way above sea level ... good luck getting good gas milage.

dan

Representing the 810's ... biatch!!
Thursday, March 17, 2005 7:21 AM
have you replaced the plugs and wires yet

the ohv's are kinda know for burning the ends of the wires , also check the tops of the coils where the plug wires go to make sure they are silver and clean

the jump is the car missing

also use a well know brand of injector cleaner , i use beryman b12

Thursday, March 17, 2005 9:41 AM
Thanks for all of your suggestions. I'll go through and try them until my car gets better.

dubduce18s, I usually fill my tank completly each time I gas up, unless i'm running short on money, and I don't drive hard usually.

97cavie24ls, I've replaced the plugs, but I didn't do the wires. Maybe i'll do the wires and fuel filter, and the injector cleaner this weekend.. If none of that works then i'll check/replace the sensors.

lalalala
Thursday, March 17, 2005 10:29 PM
i bet two bits it's the iac.
Friday, March 18, 2005 1:02 PM
wow 380 miles per tank.

crap should have taken mine back.

I don't think I ever got near that unless I was doing 100% highway driving, on maybe no reforumlated gas.

the reforumlated gas in Milwaukee just SUCKS.

on highway trips with the 2200, I used to get about 310miles, at 11.5 gallons a tank.

now its worse, but not much, esspically on winter blend, ughhh, and the fact that now 95% of my miles are street not highway
Saturday, March 19, 2005 10:02 AM
I think my tank is 14 gallons, so that could be why the milage should be higher.... It usually takes 13 or so gallons when I run it close to empty.

lalalala
Saturday, March 19, 2005 7:54 PM
check for a stuck or leaking fuel pres regulator and or injector

Monday, March 21, 2005 10:46 AM
check your cat!! happened to me thats what it was my cat was so clogged my car woudltn shift unless i left off the gas! my cat went bad @ 106,000 miles

beer is like a chick.. well not really its just beer, it be cool thou huh?

Thursday, March 31, 2005 6:59 AM
Well, I've done the plug wires, and there was some corrosion on the coil packs. I cleaned that off with steel wool, and then put new wires on. Now the engine seems to run mostly smooth, compared to before. I'm still going to do the fuel filter, I just haven't had the time to do it recently.

lalalala
Saturday, April 02, 2005 12:33 PM
I changed the fuel filter, and now my car runs great. When the filter came out, it was pretty nasty looking on the inside. I put the new one on with no problems.

Thanks all for all of the help. If it starts acting up any time soon, I'll check the sensors and such.

lalalala
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search