Lifter (I hope) inspection and removal - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Lifter (I hope) inspection and removal
Monday, April 04, 2005 6:46 AM
I've made a couple posts on here regarding an engine noise my car has ONLY while it's cold and it only lasts a minute or so. Longer if it's really cold out. Shorter if it's warmer.

The general concensus is that I have a collapsed lifter.

My question is how can I figure out which one it is, ( will anything show visually?) and if and when I do, how do I replace it?? Do the cams need to come out? How do I keep the timing from getting screwed up? Should I do all the lifters or just the one that's collapsed?? I do have a Haynes manual but I figure I would ask and hopefully someone has done this before.

Re: Lifter (I hope) inspection and removal
Monday, April 04, 2005 7:01 AM
cough DOHC cough

-Borsty
Monday, April 04, 2005 7:25 AM
Lifters...I don't have no stinkin' lifters!!!! ....said the 2.4L to his owner!....... lol

Sorry, just bein' a smart a$$!!

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence you tried!
Monday, April 04, 2005 8:56 AM
2.4 have lifters, they don't have ROCKERS.

hum, it does looks like a lifter that is leaking and it need to be rpime each time the car start. BUT like borsty said, it's a common noise for the DOHC engine. Unless it's really noisy, it should be normal.

If you have a collapse lifter, it should always make noise.

the problem seem to be that something run dry for 1 min. old lifter will do it or an engine that didn't run for a few days.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Monday, April 04, 2005 11:14 AM
oops!!! I'm stupid.....there IS lifters, not rockers! I'll go hide in a corner now!

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence you tried!
Monday, April 04, 2005 12:56 PM
So IYHO do you think it's worth tearing into it to fix?? Am I risking any further damage to the engine by not fixing this immediately? I'm also drag racing the car this weekend. It's been doing this for a while now so I don't think there will be a problem. I'll just make sure the engine is warmed up and not making noise before I beat on it.

Monday, April 04, 2005 2:44 PM
If the noise is only there for 1 min and it doesn't come back, I wouldn't worry about it. me old 2.3 was doing it and it never blew. It was a bit worst when the oil was old or really hot. I was beating the crap out of my Ho and it never went. I wouldn't worry unless the noise become alot bigger.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search