1990 Cavalier 3.1L, Help! - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
1990 Cavalier 3.1L, Help!
Monday, April 04, 2005 5:52 PM
Alrighty, here seems to be my problem.
While driving, the car seems to cut out and the tachometer drops way for down. Usually I put the car in neutral and coast. I wait like 2 minutes and try to start the car and it usually doesn't turn over. So I wait a lit longer and do it and the motor cranks and turns over and I put it in gear and go. Im just wondering why in the middle of the drive the car always seems to cut out on power and for the most part dies.

I don't believe its the fuel pump although I am not exactly a motor wizard.... Any suggestions?

Re: 1990 Cavalier 3.1L, Help!
Tuesday, April 05, 2005 9:02 AM
it sounds like igniton coils to me

Tuesday, April 05, 2005 9:57 AM
^^^^ what he said... also, could be the ignition module in the distributor going..had the same problem with a 86 fiero 2.8..kept killing ignition coils, till i finally realized the ignition module was bad...20 bucks a coil, 55 bucks for the module and 15 mins to replace both..

HONDAS ARE LIKE TAMPONS…EVERY PU**Y NEEDS ONE!
Tuesday, April 05, 2005 11:15 AM
Is the car an auto or manual trans, if its an auto try unplugging the transmission solenoid, it will not hurt the car the rpms go 400 to 600 rpm higher before shifting, i used to have a beretta with the 2.8 and the trans solenoid went all i did was unplug it. Let me know if you need a picture.

Bruce
red03ecotec

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search