Can anyone explain this..2 good and 2 bad (plugs) - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Can anyone explain this..2 good and 2 bad (plugs)
Tuesday, April 05, 2005 3:44 PM
i bought a used motor out of a wreaked 96 cavalier 2.2L....i installed it in my cav and before i started it, i installed new plugs. When i did start it, it didnt run right and the Cat was Glowing ORANGE. I never drove it yet, but when i hit the gas (Rev it), it feels like it has no power it take a while to rev up. today i took the plugs out and found that 2 were black and the other 2 looked brand new, and they smelled like gas. Would this be a coil problem? if it is, i'm guessing its the coil marked 1 and 4, and the plugs in the 1st cylinder and 4th cylinder are clean. can anyone confirm?

Re: Can anyone explain this..2 good and 2 bad (plugs)
Tuesday, April 05, 2005 4:29 PM
I think your coil diagnosis is spot-on! If you wanted to verify, swap it with the 2/3 coil and see if the problem changes to the inside two cylinders not firing....
Tuesday, April 05, 2005 4:29 PM
It looks like you may need to replace the coil pack for cylinders 2 and 3. Number two looks like its too cold, and number three looks like its been fould by carbon. And if your cat is glowing, the fuel in #'s 2 and 3 is probably not being ignited.

Tuesday, April 05, 2005 4:41 PM
#2 and 3 are fine. #3 is perfect. #2 is wet because the engine was probably on the compression stroke but no spark was made because the ignition was off so the gas touch the plug.

#1 and 4 never fired for sure. Check the connection on them and check the wire.

Btw, you put new plugs that are rust?

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Tuesday, April 05, 2005 4:47 PM
Yes. they are new, but i put them in a few months ago, and they have been in the car ever since, so some rust formed on them, but theres probably about 20 mintues use on the plugs.......so its coil pack 1 and 4 that needs to be replaced, right? cause it looks like they are firing, 2 and 3 seem like they are firing, but they are really black for just 20 mintues of use.
Tuesday, April 05, 2005 6:22 PM
why don't you just pull each boot while the engine is running and see for sure what plugs are not firing?

1979 Impala Sport Coupe Aeroback
Tuesday, April 05, 2005 8:24 PM
Definately a coil pack. The two plugs smell like gas, and look like they have never been fired.
You are running on two cylinders there buddy, not good.
The glowing cat is a result of that, as described before.
Luckily, it's a pretty easy fix.
Try a junkyard, they are kind of expensive new.
Tuesday, April 05, 2005 8:47 PM
yeah i thought so, just wondering though, are all the coil packs the same? as long as they look the same? or from ANY 2.2?
Tuesday, April 05, 2005 8:53 PM
That, I am not sure about, but as long as you match it to the motor, and model year, you'll be fine.
They all work the same, but they prolly can be different as far as how they hook up.
I did work on a 3800 with a similar prob, and as far as I know, each pack controls two cylinders on GM cars equipped as such, but I'm mot sure if they are universal, or for a specific app.
They look the same, but that does not really mean a whole lot.
Just ask a parts guy, they will be able to tell you for sure.
Good luck man.
Wednesday, April 06, 2005 8:01 AM
if the Catalitic converter is red hot then it might be blocked

Fast isn't always good, looks and sound is sometimes better

Imamarine
Wednesday, April 06, 2005 8:10 AM
The cat/header glowed orange because there was unburned fuel being dumped into it.

There are two coils in the coil pack. Each pack fires two plugs (at the same time). One coil is for plugs 1 and 4, the second coil is for 2 and 3. Coils are only sold as a set, so you'll have to replace the whole coil pack. But it seems as if one of the coils on your coil pack are bad as was stated. Put new spark plugs in while you are at it.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Wednesday, April 06, 2005 8:13 AM
they sell the coil pack seperatly because i just replaced mine they are 70 dollars a pop. i said that because my cat broke up inside and caused the cat to glow orange

Fast isn't always good, looks and sound is sometimes better

Imamarine
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search