Oil pressure light keeps coming on - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Oil pressure light keeps coming on
Tuesday, April 05, 2005 3:46 PM
The oil pressure light on my 95 Cavalier keeps coming on. This only happens when the car is stopped at a light and is idling. Is this most likly a sensor or is the oil pump going bad? Where is the sensor located at on the engine?

Also I was wondering if I can install an aftermarket oil pressure gauge on this car?

The engine is a 2.2 litre.

Thanks in advance.

The clan of Chevrolets:
'95 Cavalier
'97 S-10
'69 Nova
'71 Chevelle

Re: Oil pressure light keeps coming on
Tuesday, April 05, 2005 8:47 PM
I first have to ask.... checked for oil leaks?

Is this most likly a sensor or is the oil pump going bad? Maybe.

Where is the sensor located at on the engine? I dunno.

Also I was wondering if I can install an aftermarket oil pressure gauge on this car? Sure.

---

Wednesday, April 06, 2005 3:57 AM
Its on the back of the head by the coil pack.

hook up a mechanical gauge thier and see what is realying going on, it is usualy electrical. But remember if it is low it could be more then a pump, it could alos be main bearings. I don't think it would be a external leak, you would see that on the ground it would be pumping out at full tank pressure.

1979 Impala Sport Coupe Aeroback
Wednesday, April 06, 2005 5:57 AM
how much oil do you have in your car and when was your last oil change? may be an oil filter clogging up..but probably not..i really don't know...

HONDAS ARE LIKE TAMPONS…EVERY PU**Y NEEDS ONE!
Wednesday, April 06, 2005 6:09 AM
What bothers me is that the light is coming on when he comes to a stop and idles. I've never had this happen on a Cavalier yet, but when this has happened on other cars it meant low oil pressure. Like Jimmy said, time to hook up an aftermarket gauge and really find out what's happening.
I don't know if it will blow up due to "low rpm low oil pressure," because I drove a couple V8 Mopars that had the same problem for years. A 4 cylinder might be different, though.

'03 LS SPORT COUPE 5 SPEED black with teal/silver pinstripe

Wednesday, April 06, 2005 6:26 AM
if it comes on when you stop, and when its idling only. Better get you a new oil pump. I had the same thing happen to me in a s10.

http://www.ohiocichlids.com <<<<If you keep cichlids
Wednesday, April 06, 2005 10:18 AM
Thanx for the replies.

There is adequate oil in the engine (between full and add marks) and the oil maybe has less than 1500 miles on it. We bought the car used with 146k on the clock, if that says anything.

There are no noises that are heard when the oil light comes on. And it doesn't always come on either...just sometimes.Would the engine start knocking if the oil pump was bad?

What would the main bearings have to do with low oil pressure? Just curious.

Yes I do intend to hook up an aftermarket oil pressure gauge, like an Autometer mechanical gauge. Never was a fan of dummy lights much less factory gauges. I've heard those sensors go bad all too often and cause all sorts of chaos.

The clan of Chevrolets:
'95 Cavalier
'97 S-10
'69 Nova
'71 Chevelle
Wednesday, April 06, 2005 10:26 AM
yes, you can tear your bottom end to hell if the pump is bad. A buddy of mine had a ranger that the oil pump was bad. So when he came to stops, he just kept the motor revved.

I would go get it checked out. If the pump is good, the screen on the pick-up could be clogged=check oil light.

http://www.ohiocichlids.com <<<<If you keep cichlids
Wednesday, April 06, 2005 2:32 PM
if your main bearings have excessive clearance, your oil pressure will drop. Think of a garden hose, with out a nozzle you have low pressure put on a nozzle you get a high pressure stream.

1979 Impala Sport Coupe Aeroback
Wednesday, April 06, 2005 4:39 PM
Ok, thanx. That does make sense yet I did not know worn main bearings could cause a low oil pressure reading.

I tried to locate the coil pack but I had no luck. I noticed the plug wires ran down behind the engine so I tried getting up underneath to look....I thought I saw the plug wires sort of grouped together but as dark and as clustered underneath as it was it was really hard to tell. I take it this car doesn't have an actual distributor....just individual coil packs to fire each cylinder? Perhaps someone has a pic of right where the oil pressure sensor is?

BTW I also checked for an oil leak while I was under there but didn't find one.

The clan of Chevrolets:
'95 Cavalier
'97 S-10
'69 Nova
'71 Chevelle
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search