Quick Disconnect on Clutch Pressure Line!!!! - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Quick Disconnect on Clutch Pressure Line!!!!
Wednesday, April 06, 2005 6:59 PM
Does ANYONE have any experience with the quick disconnect coupler on the clutch pressure line for the hydraulic clutch?!?!

I cannot seem for the LIFE OF ME to get this to disconnect!!! I push as musch as I can and the release clip doesn't budge!!!

SOMEBODY HELP MEEEEEEEEEEE

-Sz

Re: Quick Disconnect on Clutch Pressure Line!!!!
Wednesday, April 06, 2005 7:58 PM
Yea, I have experience with the "quick" clutch disconnect. I pushed on it as much as I could and it didn't budge for the life of me either! Then I lost all the skin on two of my knuckles and bled all over the place like a stuck pig. After I attempted a screwdriver and vise-grips assembly, I just disconnected the line on the trans side of the disconnect. The larger disconnect takes a 7/8 wretch and the smaller takes a 3/8 flare wretch.
Friday, April 08, 2005 9:32 AM
Hey, thanks for the info. Glad I'm not the only one.

I've noticed online that there is a clutch line disconnect tool for some GMs and Fords out there. Here's an example:

http://www.handsontools.com/store/show_product/?product_id=23301

Maybe this is required and nobody bothered to mention it in any of the service manuals?

Anyways, the reason I need to disconnect the line is because my clutch master cylinder is toast, and I got a new assembly (tank, M.C., and pressure line with quick fitting) from my local Chevy dealership for a haggled $90. maybe I can remove the disconnect assembly on the slave side and bring it in and have them try. It would be ridiculous to tow the car there for them to pop that fitting apart.

These quick disconnect fittings are the WORST idea GM ever had. Ever. Well, maybe second worst... discontinuing the F-Body's was the worst.

-Sz
Friday, April 08, 2005 5:00 PM
Update...

I removed the "quick-connect" assembly via the nut closest to the actuator assembly. once out of the car I forced the outer release ring into it and with some aggravated yanking on it, it finally broke free. The amount of corrosion built up inside of it was ridiculous. I promptly washed it out and reassembled it.

After installing the new master, apparently it destroyed what little was holding the slave cylinder together. Just effin great.

Anyone got $180? LOL

-Sz
Sunday, April 10, 2005 2:55 PM
Oops! I just noticed the wrench sizes above should read "7/16" and "9/16".

I tried the yanking method and simply broke the plastic collar off.

Have fun with the slave cylinder - I just did mine, and yes, cancelling the F-body was stupid - and they will make another mistake when they cancel the other vehicle I own the Safari/Astro Van - the only domestic vehicle ever successfully EXPORTED to Japan. Thats right....everyone else goes fuel efficient and GM decides to promote a full size Yukon its its place.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search