check engine light - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
check engine light
Wednesday, April 06, 2005 10:31 AM
I Have an ecotec 2.2L 2002 cavy. And my check engine light has been on for about 1 week now. It's goes off and on.. Well i brought it in to my shop class and I wanted to see what the code was. The code is "P0717" if anyone can look that up or know how to fix that. I would really appreciate it.. I cleared the code and it has not came back on. but i wanted to know what caused it.

Re: check engine light
Wednesday, April 06, 2005 10:56 AM
DTC P0717 Input Speed Sensor Circuit Low Input

You haven't done anything to your VSS have you?

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Wednesday, April 06, 2005 11:11 AM
what's the vss?
sorry i dont know much about the jbody yet

Only thing i have installed is BM shiftplus
Could that have anything to do with it?
Wednesday, April 06, 2005 11:12 AM
Vehicle speed sensor, if you don't know what it is, then you probably haven't messed with it.

Might be a bad sensor, or a sensor that is on its way out. I'd say wait till the code pops back up again, its not damaging anything.

Wednesday, April 06, 2005 11:14 AM
Where is that sensor located? Yeah i never messed with the VSS
Wednesday, April 06, 2005 11:23 AM
Its sticking on the transmission, there is also 1 on each wheel if you are equipped with ABS that don't do the same, but I believe can throw the same code.

Wednesday, April 06, 2005 2:44 PM
the input speed sensor is the sensor for the input shaft on the transmission. That is the only thing that will throw that code. The ABS and VSS pulse generators will not throw that code. I believe it is in the transmission and it has to be pulled apart to service. Its about a 12 hour job. I do believe that thier may be a wiring issue and TSB to explaint it, if its the problem as the TSB describes its an easy fix I'll post it.

1979 Impala Sport Coupe Aeroback
Wednesday, April 06, 2005 2:45 PM
File In Section: 07 - Transmission/Transaxle

Bulletin No.: 02-07-30-022A

Date: September, 2002

TECHNICAL

Subject:
Service Engine Soon (SES) Light On With DTCS P0716 and/or P0717, P0730, P0753, P0758, P1860, P1887, or other Miscellaneous Transmission Trouble Codes Set (Repair Wiring at Transaxle Wiring Pass-thru Connector)

Models:
2000-2003 Buick Century, LeSabre, Park Avenue, Regal
2003 Buick Rendezvous
2000-2001 Chevrolet Lumina
2000-2003 Chevrolet Cavalier, Impala, Malibu, Monte Carlo, Venture
2000-2002 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2000-2003 Oldsmobile Alero, Aurora, Silhouette
2000-2003 Pontiac Bonneville, Grand Am, Grand Prix, Montana, Sunfire
2001-2003 Pontiac Aztek
2000 Cavalier
with 4T65-E, 4T40-E or 4T45-E Transaxle (RPOs MN3, MN7, M15, M76, MN4, MN5)

This bulletin is being revised to add the 2003 Model year. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 02-07-30-022 (Section 07-Transmission/Transaxle).

Condition

Some customers may comment that the Service Engine Soon (SES) indicator is illuminated and that while the light is illuminated, transmission shifts are extremely harsh.

Cause

These types of conditions may be caused by an intermittent connection at the transaxle 20-way connector to the wiring harness interface.

Correction

If a DTC was recorded and the Freeze Frame and Failure Records back it up, a problem existed at one time with the wiring and/or the connectors between the transaxle and the PCM. Therefore, a thorough inspection and/or repair of the wiring harness at the transaxle 20-way connector for one or more of the following conditions may be warranted.

The wiring harness is stretched too tightly or other components are pressing on the connector body itself causing a downward pressure on the connector body and possible intermittent contact of the wiring terminals. Ensure proper clearance to any other components and wiring (i.e. hoses, battery cables, etc.).

^ The terminals are not fully seated into the cavity of the connector body.

^ The male terminals in the transaxle portion of the connector may be in the wrong position (i.e. bent).

^ The female terminals may be loose and are not making proper contact. Check the tension with the proper terminal tester from the GM Terminal Test Kit J 35616-A or J 35616-92. If the tension is low, replace the terminal. Do not try to re-form the terminal.

^ The crimp of the terminal to the wire may not be satisfactory (i.e. loose, over insulation, etc.).

^ The wiring connector is not properly seated and locked in position. Ensure proper seating of the connector into the transaxle and that the connector is properly locked in place.

Thursday, April 07, 2005 3:53 PM
hope that helps

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search