starter grinding....anybody else have same problem - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
starter grinding....anybody else have same problem
Wednesday, April 06, 2005 1:52 PM
My starter seems to grind when I start the vehicle sometimes.....sometimes it doesn't.....car never fails to start.....when I turn the key and let go it sounds like i'm holding the key to the on position......was just wondering if anybody else has had the same problem.....2002 2.2L cavalier

Re: starter grinding....anybody else have same problem
Wednesday, April 06, 2005 1:54 PM
sounds like the bendix is going in the starter... might wanna think about replacing it soon, as it can ruin the flywheel/flexplate if its sticking, along with the starter..

HONDAS ARE LIKE TAMPONS…EVERY PU**Y NEEDS ONE!
Re: starter grinding....anybody else have same problem
Wednesday, April 06, 2005 9:07 PM
I have had this problem, And i have also heard this happen to other cavys too. I believe that the Engineering in the years 2000-2005 was not so good, for example, The grinding noise in the 5 speed, and the clunking noise, and now the starter. I wouldn't worry about it too much, because your not the only one.
Re: starter grinding....anybody else have same pro
Thursday, April 07, 2005 7:29 PM
Either your starter is going (like after you turn the key, the bendix is staying out), OR, your ingnition cylinder has a short in it, causing the starter to "think" that you're still turning the key.

I would definitely go ahead and replace the starter, and if it keeps making the noise.. look into getting your ignition lock cynider replaced.

My Car Domain Page

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search