98 cavalier runs for a few seconds and dies - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
98 cavalier runs for a few seconds and dies
Saturday, April 09, 2005 7:49 AM
Looking at a car at the local wreckers...The 1998 cavalier runs for a few seconds and dies.They put in a new Ignition switch(actually the cylinder lock for the ignition switch)no key came with the car.They swapped out the fuel relay...Any ideas before I buy this car would be nice.Could it be the pass key for the ignition for some othe wiring problem or fuel pump???Just can't pass up the price...lol

Re: 98 cavalier runs for a few seconds and dies
Saturday, April 09, 2005 8:28 AM
sounds like an intake sensor to me..

Saturday, April 09, 2005 10:47 AM
my 96 did that, it has to be the passlock, it would run for a second then die out, then i did the Passlock FAQ and now runs fine,
Saturday, April 09, 2005 1:29 PM
Last question...Do not see a passlock faq in the forums or under faqs, Also I have a 98 parts car(Is there a gm passlock module in the car and it's location) Have the cylinder lock out of the steering colum already Just wondering on the passlock control module...LOL
Saturday, April 09, 2005 2:20 PM
Dennis wrote:sounds like an intake sensor to me..

why an IAT.....ive noticed that there are a dozen or so problems on cavaliers and it just so happens that the IAT is at fault......hmmmmmmm dont htink so

they way everyone thinks the IAT controls the whole car...

Saturday, April 09, 2005 3:09 PM
after you replace the ignition cylender you have to do a passlock relearn or the car won't start. Usually when the car runs then stops it is a passlock problem. AS for the IAT you could throw the thing in the back seat and the car would car less for starting. Well that is unless your coolant sensor is bad too. but probly not.

1979 Impala Sport Coupe Aeroback
Saturday, April 09, 2005 3:19 PM
Did alittle digging..Thanks for all the help...the passlock plugs into the dash cluster..Have the Ignition lock cylinder and the dash cluster ripped out of my 98 cavalier to go test my theory....coolant sensor would do the same thing??Will try the relearn method before terying anything else...lol..Thanks again...My 95 sunfire has 193000 miles on it and I think it's time is up...Hoping to get the 98 cavy
Saturday, April 09, 2005 6:02 PM
jeff johnson wrote:Did alittle digging..Thanks for all the help...the passlock plugs into the dash cluster..Have the Ignition lock cylinder and the dash cluster ripped out of my 98 cavalier to go test my theory....coolant sensor would do the same thing??Will try the relearn method before terying anything else...lol..Thanks again...My 95 sunfire has 193000 miles on it and I think it's time is up...Hoping to get the 98 cavy

the coolant sensor would not do the same thing I was just going off on a tangent

1979 Impala Sport Coupe Aeroback
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search