Restoring an `88 2.0 Cavy - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Restoring an `88 2.0 Cavy
Wednesday, April 06, 2005 12:54 PM
Okay so, I have an `88 Cavy that's been sitting for about 4 years. The only problem with it is that the hoses kept busting (my bet is on the radiator cap since the thermostat had been replaced back when that kept happening).

Today, I hooked up some jumper cables from my moms car and this car and turned the key and it turns, so I know the engine hasn't seized but it wouldn't actually start. Like I said, it's been sitting for 4 years, in the weather.. so I'm sure the gas has gone to @!#$. So my main questions are, whats the best way to get the old gas out? I've been told to syphon it, to take out the fuel filter and turn the key so the fuel pump dumps out the gas and I've even been told to drop the tank (which I'd rather not do if I don't have to). Also.. what else should I do to get it running? Don't worry, I'm going to give it a full tune up (filters, plugs, wires, fluid changes, etc), but only after I can actually get it to run (can't flush a motor that won't run).

Thanks in advance.

My Car Domain Page

Re: Restoring an `88 2.0 Cavy
Wednesday, April 06, 2005 1:06 PM
Do plugs and wires before you get it running. Any of those methods to empty the tank will work, probably best just to siphon it because its really hard on the pump to drain a tank down to empty.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Wednesday, April 06, 2005 1:53 PM
look for a petcock or drain plug..most gas tanks have one...

HONDAS ARE LIKE TAMPONS…EVERY PU**Y NEEDS ONE!
Wednesday, April 06, 2005 2:07 PM
Plugs and wires first? Any reason? I only ask because I hate to throw money into it for plugs and wires and then it run like ass, ya know?

Anyways, This is what I've got so far:

1- drain gas, put new gas in.

2- Plugs & wires

3- Motor flush

4- Everything else (belt, hoses, transmission filter/fluid change, air filter, fuel filter, etc.)

That about right or is anything else I should do before something else?

My Car Domain Page

Wednesday, April 06, 2005 2:14 PM
You do it first because having it sit for 4 years has probably rusted your plugs all to hell, and depending on where it was parked, mice or field animals can chew through the spark plug wires, or they just get old and the insulation cracks. Both of which can cause the car not to start.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Wednesday, April 06, 2005 9:17 PM
Well the wires look ok, but I haven't checked for arcing due to bad insulation. I did take the plugs out last week or so and they did look pretty rusty.. didn't even think that's why it didn't turn over. Thanks for that info Shifted.

Oh, while I'm thinking about it, when I turned the key to accessory, the gas gauge slowly went from Empty to Full and then went about a 1/4 of the way past full. Any ideas on what could cause that? My only guess is water in the tank causing it to be "over full" or something.. I just dont see how that much water could get in there ya know? Once I get some new gas in the tank, I'll probably run some water remover through it just to make sure.

My Car Domain Page

Thursday, April 07, 2005 7:38 PM
U may a faulty fuel sender for the gauge,normally when u ground the fuel sender wire for the gauge it should show the gauge at full or above.If the sender for the gauge is bad u will have to drop the fuel tank to replace it.I feel certain thats what has happen the sending unit for the gauge has probably bit the dust,but see if it changes once u actually get the car running to verify where the needle sits while running.Utlimately if u drop the tank replace the fuel pump too,save ur self alot of headache later down the road.

Thursday, April 07, 2005 11:08 PM
What exactly causes that to go out anyways? I'm hoping it's not shot, because I dont wanna have to drop the tank.. but I'm rebuilding this car for my fiance' and I want her to have a reliable car.. so it's not something I'll just "overlook" ya know.

My Car Domain Page

Saturday, April 09, 2005 9:19 PM
What happens is the contacts on the fuel sender just wear out causing the gauge to read the actual fuel level improperly.This is not uncommon in any vehicle,normally the fuel gauge will not read at all showing empty or less than what's actually in the tank.IF I were u I would replace the sender and the fuel pump at the same time,u will be glad u did having new components in there will only b a piece of mind that its new and not prone to dieing later,espec the fuel pump.IF u can track down the fuel sending unit wiring try and ground it out with the tank still installed to verify its the sender for the gauge,but consider it is a 1988 the sender is gonna give out sooner than later.

Sunday, April 10, 2005 11:50 AM
Well.. I put an 'almost new' (re: 2004) battery that I got for nothing from a buddy that had one laying around in it yesterday, then my friend and I changed out the plugs. Took off the intake and sprayed some starting fluid in and tried to crank it. It ran.. for all of half a second. After checking a few things, we're pretty certain that the fuel pump is shot. We couldn't hear it power up when the car was turned to "on", and after putting a gallon of gas in the tank and cranking it, it still wouldn't start, which indicates to me that it's not getting any fuel. So looks like I have no choice but to replace the fuel pump now (I was going to anyways, so it's no biggie). Only downside is, the fuel pump is $67 at Advance, but I get 20% off that. I'm still gonna shop around.. see if Autozone has it cheaper than what I can get it at AAP with my discount.

Thanks for all the help guys. I'll keep posting any other questions I might have along the way.

My Car Domain Page

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search