96 Cavy 2.2 Auto suddenly stopped firing??? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
96 Cavy 2.2 Auto suddenly stopped firing???
Sunday, April 10, 2005 12:28 PM
Anyone had a problem similar to mine?

It's a 1992 2.2L Auto Chevy Cavalier. Never had any major problems out of the car the entire time I've owned it, was a program car. Has 126,000 miles on it. Parked it in the driveway, then suddenly the thing stopped starting. It started once, managed to move it to the back the house unblocking the other cars. Hasn't started since. I thought it might be the ignition module? Bought a used one and either that's bad or it's not the problem. Spark plugs aren't getting any fire at all. I know it's not the battery, alternator or starter. So any guesses as to what it is, or anyone else had this similar problem?

I'm at my wits end with this. Sure do wanna get the lil Cavy goin again. Bought a new Monte Carlo before Christmas but with gas prices I'd rather have the Cavy to travel in.

Re: 96 Cavy 2.2 Auto suddenly stopped firing???
Sunday, April 10, 2005 4:23 PM
Have you checked the crank trigger?

1979 Impala Sport Coupe Aeroback
Monday, April 11, 2005 4:47 PM
No I haven't. I'll have to do that. It's just a mess, I'm a girl but I still refuse to allow anyone else service the car on jobs I can do myself. Got the first ignition module out, replaced it with a used one... off a wrecked car, it didn't work either. The spark plugs aren't firing at all. And whatever it is that's happened, started affecting my gas milage badly about a month before it stopped running.

Thanks for the tip thou, I'll check that out here in a bit
Monday, April 11, 2005 5:30 PM
the crank trigger or sensor sends a signal to the ignition module for RPM reference and number one top dead center. With out this signal the module can't ground the primary coil, for ac voltage to jump to the secondary coil winds to have spark.

You will need a digital meter with ac and a wiring diagram to know what wires to back prop at the module to see if it is receiving a signal.

1979 Impala Sport Coupe Aeroback
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search