Please help thumping is driving me nuts... - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Please help thumping is driving me nuts...
Sunday, April 10, 2005 5:44 PM
Ive already made a post about this but no one replied. I have a thump in the clutch and gas pedal when i accelerate. Its pretty annoying. its not really a fast thump. I cant tell if my transmission is junk or if my clutch is worn out and the thump is it slipping or what? Also i have a ticking sound when i start my car, sounds like my push rods are knocking maybe. 992200 SFI with 145,000 miles on it. The ticking is alot less noticible when car is warmed up but still is there.

Re: Please help thumping is driving me nuts...
Sunday, April 10, 2005 6:31 PM
If the thump is felt through the petals while driving (I question why you would be feeling a thump in your clutch while accelerating - your foot should not be there!) without further description I would be tempted to say it is probably a engine mount (especially if it is a single thump). Clutch problems would cause a vibration as the clutch and flywheel spin.
At a full stop somewhere vacant and safe put the car in third gear and release the clutch as you normally would. If the car does not stall almost immediately, your clutch is probably slipping.
Sunday, April 10, 2005 7:45 PM
yeah i dont ride the clutch, but i just tested it for a sec. just touched the clutch pedal with my foot w/o pushing on it also the thump can be felt in the steering wheel?

Sunday, April 10, 2005 8:20 PM
Start searching for "motor mounts" here, and on the 'net as well. Find out how to diagnose motor mount problems and any other misc. suspension/driveline ailments. Eliminate each potential problem step by step.
Motor mounts is just a matter of visual inspection, I think. I am pretty sure I saw it in the Haynes manual a while back.
Monday, April 11, 2005 7:20 PM
i figured it out... it was my short ram CAI was hitting my brake lines when the engine rocked back with acceleration. kinda dumb huh?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search