need help 92 cav idles but dies when throttled - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
need help 92 cav idles but dies when throttled
Monday, April 11, 2005 8:43 AM
Ok, I have a mechanical challenge for all of you J-body fans out there.
We have a 92 cav that has been perfect until january this year. Here is the current status: 2.2L engine idles smoothly but will die when given any throttle, doesn't make any difference if in park or in drive. This started in January with a suspect tank of gas causing the car to die and not run sometimes for as little as 20 min to several days. the following items were replaced:
Fuel Pump, Fuel Filter
car still acting up, mechanic checks and says ICM is bad - wants $540 to replace it (he must be on drugs)
ICM replaced
car runs fine for about 2 weeks then dies again, this is where we are at now:
Catalytic converter replaced, ICM checked ok, coil packs checked ok, MAP replaced, TPS replaced, ECM replaced,Crankshaft Sensor replaced

No codes in the computer unless I unplug MAP or TPS while engine is running (which makes no difference to engine performance). It acts as if it is not correctly timed i.e its obvious the fuel/spark management system is not doing something right. I have discussed the problem with local chevy dealer but they did not instill any confidence in resolving the problem at $90/hr diagnosis, so I thought I would post it to the experts here. Two other points car has 101k and had a valve job in 04 when water pump let go and head gasket blew no problems from Sep. 04 until this started in Jan. 05

Did I miss something simple? If I can't resolve this I will have to replace this car.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search