"Trac Off" Light - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
"Trac Off" Light
Tuesday, April 12, 2005 7:41 PM
when i was driving to class today the "trac off" light just popped on. THe roads were dry, i didnt skid or burn out or anything like that. The light has been on all day. does anyoen know what is causing this and how i can get it to turn off? i have a 2001 cavalier 2.2L auto if that helps.

thanks

Re: "Trac Off" Light
Tuesday, April 12, 2005 8:33 PM
bump...can someone help?
Wednesday, April 13, 2005 8:38 AM
it went off a couple of minutes ago, but this is the second time in the last month or so that is has just randomly come on. anyone know why?
Wednesday, April 13, 2005 8:46 AM
Bad sensor, maybe your MAP or IAT...

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Wednesday, April 13, 2005 11:56 AM
Shifted wrote:Bad sensor, maybe your MAP or IAT...

What does the MAP or IAT sensor have to do with traction, by the way dont newer Cavalier has MAF Mass Air FLOW not Manifold Absoluter Pressure sensors.

As for the "trac Off" light isnt there is a code stored pinpointing why the light is on, just like it has for OBD II codes?

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Wednesday, April 13, 2005 12:11 PM
When the ECU throws a code, primarily a code for one of the essential sensors (IAT, B1S1 O2, MAP/MAF, TPS), it goes into limp mode. This can be verified when the car is idling since the exhaust will be black, smell like unburned gas, and the radiator fans will be on constantly. The ECU will increase the auto transmission line pressure to 100% and on the automatics, will disable the traction control system.

I went through this last weekend with my car when I was hooking up the SAFC, it couldn't see the MAP sensor so it freaked out, then I had the IAT disconnected and it did exactly the same thing.

Wednesday, April 13, 2005 12:12 PM
Oh, and if the sensor starts working again, the Trac Off light will stay illuminated, as well as the check engine light, but the car will run normally.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search