bypassing A/C compressor - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
bypassing A/C compressor
Wednesday, April 13, 2005 12:50 PM
Today the belt on my Z24 burned off. The a/c compressor has been grinding off an on but this last week its been quiet. Anyways the belt is shredded but the compressor and alternator both spin freely. I am going to put a new belt on the car but I hope the a/c compressor won't lock up again. I want to know has anyone bypassed it w/ a shorter belt without taking it off the car? I don't feel like pulling the motor mount to get the compressor off. My boyfriend is going to change the belt but he thinks it will happen again if we can't bypass the compressor.

What size belt would I need? And can it be done?

1996 Z24 auto

Re: bypassing A/C compressor
Wednesday, April 13, 2005 2:49 PM
It depends was A/C an option on your car or was it standard?

If it was an option just get the belt for cars with non-A/C if it was standard your @!#$ out of luck.

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Wednesday, April 13, 2005 2:54 PM
It was an option, but in the cars without A/C they put an idler pulley there so it had the same belt.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Thursday, April 14, 2005 8:37 AM
I disconnected the plug mounted on the compressor to prevent the compressor clutch engaging on my '93 Cav.I had it disconnected for about six months until I could afford repairs.
IF your car has the identical system this is an easy way to prevent the new belt getting damaged.
I think some later systems have the compressor running all the time, so this would not work on those.
I'm sure someone knows when the systems changed and will post.

Alont
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search