Rack and Pinion And Power Steering - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Rack and Pinion And Power Steering
Wednesday, April 13, 2005 5:45 PM
I think I myself am having power steering and or Rack and pinion problems but am unsure.

the Power steering at idle makes a tingy noise and when accelerated it becomes a steady tingy noise. I can hear it all the way inside the car.

another noise that seems to worsen when I accelerate from a slower gear (IE : Coming around a turn in third and step on the gas. the car accelerates slowly but I can hear this odd noise, I'm guessing it's my R and P) is bothering me too. Telltale signs that anything is about to need some major repairs?

Any thoughts?

Re: Rack and Pinion And Power Steering
Wednesday, April 13, 2005 6:12 PM
Yeah that sounds a lot like a noise I have, and I have heard it on many a j-body. I think at some point someone had mentioned it may be the timing chain tensioner has become slightly slack and the chain is what is rattling. I don't know if this is right or not but I have heard this noise on quite a few Cavi's, I think it is one of those many little quirks of our cars.
Wednesday, April 13, 2005 9:08 PM
my goddess. you should hear when I deaccelerate. it's terrible. not to mention embarrassing.

Anyone else have this issue?
Monday, April 18, 2005 1:12 PM
When you deaccelerate do you hear a popping noise and is your steering tight at all around turns? Mine is acting like that too... also going over bumps I can hear a thumping noise but the car is still running fine. I just can't figure it out. Going in for inspection tomorrow so hopefully my mechanic will figure out what is wrong with it without it costing me an arm and a leg...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search