Oil Filter - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Oil Filter
Thursday, April 21, 2005 6:40 AM
Dose any one know if I could put a smaller oil filter on my car, i have a 2000 2.2 cavalier. I pulled my ebrake and I snapped my exaust pipe near the headers. Now my engine sounds like crap because its like I am running open headers. The oil filter rubbs againts something and after a while it punctures a hole and all my oil leaks out. Please let me know. Thx.

" Only god can judge me!" Tu Pac

Re: Oil Filter
Thursday, April 21, 2005 6:44 AM
Nope, have to use the same size.

Buying a different size filter means you will have a different size anit-drainback valve.

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Thursday, April 21, 2005 12:22 PM
Rob S wrote:Nope, have to use the same size.

Buying a different size filter means you will have a different size anit-drainback valve.

Wrong.

First off, Cypress, you were stupid, thats why something in your exhuast broke, prob a hanger, or the rubber bushing

second, if your oilfilter is rubbing against something, its not the oil filters fault. @ suggestions:

a) check for loose wires or hose, or piping, or debris by your oil filter. I have the same engine you have, and can fit a cinder block between the firewall and oil filter, without touching the filter at all.

b) you could invest in a $40 oil filter relocation kit.

And as for a different filter, you can get both larger and smaller filters with the stock seating and threads.

With mine, i use a BIG ph 8 filter.

“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that’s even remotely
true.

Cannon fodder is my daddy.
Thursday, April 21, 2005 2:24 PM
He cant go smaller though, anti-drainback valve will be a different size.

look it up, I did.

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Thursday, April 21, 2005 6:45 PM
that's not the problem here, something is punching the oil filter in this man's car and the oil filter keeps taking it like a bum.

find the problem at hand.

CAR GODS MADE THE 1.6 SOHC TO MAKE US 2.2 OHV GUYS FEEL BETTER.
Sunday, April 24, 2005 1:33 AM
Thanks Guys, I figured it out. Becuase the exaust pipe busted below the headers, when ever I start my car or accelerate the engine rocks back and fourth violently. There is a bold that is kinda near my filter, when ever I accelerate it hits the bolt, and after a week a whole is made, oil everywhere. I just got my pipe welded together and my engine does not rock back and fourth any more, thus no more hitting the bolt, thus no more oil leak. I am no longer driving stupid because I am saving up for a new motor and cant afford another break down.

Thanks for your help.

Sunday, April 24, 2005 9:06 AM
Sounds like bad engine mounts to me. The exhaust should not be supporting the engine. That might be why your exhaust busted in the first place.

'99 Z24, Manual
Monday, April 25, 2005 7:26 AM
Ken Rushia nailed it. Your motor mounts are worn to the point where it is causing excessive movement.
Monday, April 25, 2005 7:30 AM
might as well go ahead and get the upper and lower inserts for 60 bucks.

Monday, April 25, 2005 9:28 PM
after I got my exaust piping welded together, my engin no longer rocks, its actually very steady. Really dosent move at all, how can that be my motor mounts. Don't know that why I am asking.

Thx

Monday, April 25, 2005 9:36 PM
The motor mounts should be what is preventing your engine from rocking back and forth. If your exhaust is doing all the work it is going to brake again.

Tuesday, April 26, 2005 7:38 AM
Zach wrote:The motor mounts should be what is preventing your engine from rocking back and forth. If your exhaust is doing all the work it is going to brake again.
Exactly. Even with your exhaust disconnected, your engine should barely rock back and forth. Once your exhaust is connected, it should still barely rock back and forth. Your exhaust is supposed to flex when the engine rocks, preventing it from cracking. Check your engine mounts. I bet one is broken or at least extremely worn.

Tuesday, April 26, 2005 9:01 PM
Okay, thanks guys.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search