EGR and Computer problem - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
EGR and Computer problem
Tuesday, April 26, 2005 11:31 AM
hello hope I can get some help here... looking for some info no EGR valves.

Check engine light came on this morning, and guy at the shop said it's 385.00 (CAD) for the EGR valve which MAY have to be replaced. (Threw Code 27??)

He said it could be the EGR solenoid or connectors, but even with that 400-500 dollar repair, but we can't be sure that it will fix the problem.

Before the check engine light came on, the car seemed to misfire quite a bit and there was a lot of jerky hesitation at lower RPM's. The idle is really rough and clanky.

I called around a couple of parts places, and basicaly the part ranges from 80 bucks to 356 depending on which one I need, (they need the actual number from the part itself to determine this)

Beyond that, the guy also said that i may need an entirely new computer because of another code that the OBD gave. And a serpentine belt for the alternator.

Three questions here:

1. How do I find the EGR valve to get the correct number off of it so I can price out the right part? I dont know where this thing is.

2. I checked some wreckers who had computers for like 125 bucks, but all of them were for Automatics. Do I need a different computer for my 5-speed manual?

3. Anything else I should be aware of or worry about that I'm not really considering?

Thanks in advance guys for all your help.

Re: EGR and Computer problem
Tuesday, April 26, 2005 12:59 PM
Computer from an automatic will not work on your car, you need to get a man trans computer. I can get reman computers at my work for 74.99 each plus core charge. Thats with a warranty from A1 Cardone.

Take EGR valve off and try to clean it before you buy anything. Part number for EGR valve should be on the valve itself. Its a 8 or 10 digit number thats all numeric.

Check all your vacume hoses and connection to the EGR Valve before you do anything.

Hope this helps a little....

96 All motor 5 Speed Z24, Best time 15.97@86MPH
Tuesday, April 26, 2005 1:11 PM
Thanks ahitz,

I will definitely try and clean the valve first. Is it easy to find? Where would it be? How would it be labelled?

- One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar
Tuesday, April 26, 2005 1:40 PM
Im not sure where the EGR Valve is located on the 2.2 I think its on the back side of the motor near the Intake Manifold. There will be a tube going from it to the Intake Manifold and its a Cylindrical shape with a 5 pin connector.

96 All motor 5 Speed Z24, Best time 15.97@86MPH
Tuesday, April 26, 2005 6:27 PM
if im not mistaken the EGR valve should be on the left side of the motor.....drivers side that is.....if it is vacuum controled then that should be the least expensive one....however if it does have a 5 pin connector to it then it is controlled by the PCM.....if it is vacuum controled take it off and check to see if the pintel is frozen or check for a ruptured diaphram..........if electronic still check to see if the pintel is frozen........check for any loose carbon deposits holding the valve open

Tuesday, April 26, 2005 8:21 PM
Thanks for the replies so far guys.

Ok, so do I need a torque wrench to put this back on correctly? I read somewhere that installing the EGR valve back will require specific torque settings. I'm guessing it's not a critical area, but just so I don't start anything I can't finish.

Cheers for the help!

- One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search