All power gone after a "pop" 05 Cavalier - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
All power gone after a "pop" 05 Cavalier
Tuesday, April 26, 2005 9:43 AM
well, I've checked all of the fuses (in the side of the dash and under the hood) The cig lighter fuse was bad but that could of been like that already, I replaced it anyway.

This is my car, it took a hit on the passenger side but all of the wiring looked good except the horn that was crushed some.

I put the drivers side head light housing on, turn the lights on and they worked, had power as normal. turned the lights off and got in to start the car. when I turned the key I had power untill I hit "start" I head a pop from either in the dash or in the hood it's hard to tell. Now EVERYTHING is dead, no power at all. No wiring looks fried, battery has power. I couldn't find a fuseable link to check. I need to go get a test light since mine is all messed up. Just wondering if there is something I should check first or a common cause.

I found this thread help !!!!!!! car has no power!!!! but not sure how much of this applies, the car ran and drove fine and had good power before the "pop"

Any help would be appriciated

._____________________________.
Causa latet vis est notissima

DIY Clear 03+ Headlights

Re: All power gone after a "pop" 05 Cavalier
Tuesday, April 26, 2005 11:28 AM
If your horn was crushed....what kind of shape is your PCM in....was it damaged as well??????

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence you tried!
Tuesday, April 26, 2005 11:46 AM
the horn is located behind the fender that was hit, the PCM seems to be in good shape, I checked the connections and looked ok. I'm going to pick up a test light soon and see if I can find the break in the system

DIY Clear 03+ Headlights

Tuesday, April 26, 2005 12:58 PM
Ok, I disconnected the bat, cleaned the threads even thought they already looked good, wiggled a bunch of misc wires and put the bat cables back on... I've got power back and now a check engine light when I put the car in gear. Guess it's time to pull the codes.

DIY Clear 03+ Headlights

Tuesday, April 26, 2005 4:38 PM
i had something similar happen in an 89 firebird formula 350 ws6 i used to own. got in it, turned the key, heard a loud "POP"...guages went dead and it never cranked. luckily it was in a Pep Boys parking lot. asked one of the guys inside and first thing he said was "battery". he was right, we removed and tested mine...dead as dead can be. put in a new one and she started right up. so...try your battery.

Join verbalwarfare.com

http://www.verbalwarfare.com/forum.php?referrerid=86

Tuesday, April 26, 2005 5:21 PM
14V running, 10ish when off... maybe it's time to put my old yellow top in

DIY Clear 03+ Headlights

Tuesday, April 26, 2005 5:42 PM
Battery voltage should be 12.5 standing 14.5 running.

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Tuesday, April 26, 2005 11:53 PM
I had a similar experience in an older ford car, turned out to be a bad connection on a battery post, the draw would knock the terminal lose and break contact every single time, check your battery cables and your battery, if that was the battery in the crash strap in a new one .

J~ other than that sounds like you got it covered
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search