2000 Sunfire headlight issue and service light. - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2000 Sunfire headlight issue and service light.
Tuesday, December 06, 2005 4:38 AM
Hi again.

This car is really getting to me. ok now when the daytime driving lights kick in (its not the DRL module I just replaced it) the lights flash about 5 times and the service light comes on, also after this happens I only have light on the drivers side with highbeams turned on. the passenger side headlight has nothing on high, and it is a brand new bulb, with nothing wrong with the bulb i took out... Im guessing that its yet another wireing issue.... just looking for some input as to where the problem may be located.

Thanks
Geo.

Re: 2000 Sunfire headlight issue and service light.
Tuesday, December 06, 2005 7:09 AM
Check the bulb: swap it with the known good one. If not, http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=4&i=111951&t=106190#111951. You need to search better, this has been brought up a bunch of times.

---------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.cardomain.com/id/lanman31337

Sponsored by:
JLCaudio.net
Re: 2000 Sunfire headlight issue and service light.
Tuesday, December 06, 2005 7:56 AM
G.S. Hanna wrote:Hi again.

This car is really getting to me. ok now when the daytime driving lights kick in (its not the DRL module I just replaced it) the lights flash about 5 times and the service light comes on, also after this happens I only have light on the drivers side with highbeams turned on. the passenger side headlight has nothing on high, and it is a brand new bulb, with nothing wrong with the bulb i took out... Im guessing that its yet another wireing issue.... just looking for some input as to where the problem may be located.

Thanks
Geo.

Its your passanger side bulb. So either your not getting a good connection with the new bulb, or its the wrong bulb. It needs to be a dual filiment bulb.

Re: 2000 Sunfire headlight issue and service light
Tuesday, December 06, 2005 7:36 PM
check the fuse for the DRL's I belive something happens like loose a headlight when you pull the fuse.

Speed costs... How fast ya wanna go??
<a href="http://mywebpages.comcast.net/pj1987">My old cars</a>
Wednesday, December 07, 2005 4:15 AM
Ok like my first post. Its a "new" bulb, the correct OEM bulb, i have a new tested DRL module installed, the old DRL has been tested and it is good. current is good at all settings at the headlight connection. Still, once the crap car, is in gear, flash flash flash flash and service light comes on. Im apparently out of options. No wonder GM is filing for chapter 11. I certainly will never buy another.
Thursday, December 08, 2005 10:06 AM
It's a bad bulb, throw on the brights, one of them won't work. Change that bulb. The DRL's and high beams are on the same fliament, at different voltages, that's why the DRL's burn out many aftermarket bulbs so fast.

15.3 @ 89.97mph, 14's on the way?

For Sale:
Getrag '00-'02 2.4 8000kms $800
Thursday, December 08, 2005 10:54 AM
Thanks but.... it is NOT a bad bulb, more like a bad car... took out the right bulb out of the wifes car and put it in my friends 00 Cavalier. hey and guess what it works in there!. took the bulb out of my friends cavalier put it in the crapfire and guess what...same issue. I know what I am talking about, i am not a noob when it comes to cars, don't you think that the bulb is the first thing i checked? OEM does not mean aftermarket.

thanks for your guess.
anyone have any real suggestions, if not then i guess i am on my own. rewireing the headlight assy on sat.

thanks all for your insightfull guesses at this problem, had it with this car, as soon as i get it fixed she will be traded in.

"wrong instructions are worse than no instructions."
Geo
Thursday, December 08, 2005 11:07 AM
I might be able to help you fix this. I had the same issue on my 2002 cavalier.

You should have continuity between the following points:

Passenger side headlight fuse to middle terminal (orange wire) on passenger side headlight socket.
Dark Blue wire in the headlight multifuction switch to the dark blue wire on headlight socket.
Pink Wire in the headlight multifunction switch to the pink wire on the headlight harness.

I don't have the wiring diagram in front of me right at the moment, so if some of those colors are wrong, I apologize. I have the wiring diagram on my home computer. I can send it to you later if you would like.

There is a harness underneath the battery tray which links the wiring in the steering colums at the multifunction switch to the headlights and turn signals. This is a good middle point to determine where the problem lies.
Thursday, December 08, 2005 11:46 AM
Thanks a bunch for the info Socksrocker, I will be picking up a hanes manual tonight to learn how to repair the wireing.

Thanks again for the useful information
Good tidings for the season!

Geo.
Thursday, December 08, 2005 11:52 AM
No problem, let me know if you need any more assistance.
Thursday, December 08, 2005 7:41 PM
Check fuses in the dash panel. There's one for the left headlight, and one for the right. There's also one for the DRLs I believe.

The headlights are negative switched. There will be one wire that always has +12 volts. I can't remember which colour it is, but if it's a dual filament bulb it should be the middle pin on the connector. The other two pins are switched negative from the switch.

If you swap the bulbs left to right, does it work?

What about if you get in the car and turn the low beams on first, then start the car. Does the DRL light flash on and off then put up the service light?

(BTW, that's the DRL self test... DRLs not working, so it puts up the service light).

if you disable the DRLs you won't have this issue... but I don't know if you want to go that route

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search