tranny fluid changing - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
tranny fluid changing
Saturday, March 18, 2006 9:40 PM
97, 2200, has 76,000 miles auto should i change the tranny fluid or leave it alone, i have heard on some car somtimes it can be worse to change it then to leave it alone?

Re: tranny fluid changing
Saturday, March 18, 2006 10:03 PM
I've heard that too and I don't know how its possible unless people are using the wrong fluid. Anyway I change mine once a year and have never had a transmission problem out of any car. If you have the manual trans the Penzoil synchromesh fluid is the same as GMs but costs less. They should have it at Autozone.

Saturday, March 18, 2006 10:28 PM
yea i have just heard that your tranny gets used to being dirty then when its clean it messes up but mine is auto thats why im worried about this?
Sunday, March 19, 2006 2:21 AM
mine had 160k miles i drained it 15k miles later its fine.. its an auto

Sunday, March 19, 2006 3:03 PM
awsome thanks alot!! did you have it done at a shop where they suck it all out n clean it or just drain and refill?
Sunday, March 19, 2006 3:54 PM
no i did it myself.. its just like 10-12 10mm bolts its quite easy..

one BIG thing to remember i dont think its good to FLUSH the tranny OR the engine when there that old. Thats when i hear of problems if you just drain and refill it should be fine. Just get a big pan on the floor losen the 10mm bolts all around the tranny pan. Let the fluid drain for awhile. While its draining clean the pan as good as you can the gasket is reuseable but if theres any notice of wear ect you should change it
i was fine with mine. just make sure you clean it very good im not sure it the 4 speed and 3 speed trannys take the same amount but the 4 speed autos take about 7.5 quarts after draining the pan you may want to check on the level.
also make sure you replace with DEXTRON fluid

Sunday, March 19, 2006 5:44 PM
Can anyone comment on the change noticed with chaging the fluid? My car has 96k miles and is on the original fluid, has been driven hard around a city all its life. The trans is sloppy and loose, so I'm planning to change it. Is there a night-and-day difference or might the trans just be worn out anyway?

I was happy when I heard my car ran 10s. Then I found out that was 0-60.
Sunday, March 19, 2006 6:07 PM
once u do a tranny flush u shift through each gear and sit in each gear for 5-10 seconds...P R N D 3 2 1...do that like 2-3 times.

MY 2003 SUNFIRE 15.63@87.86mph

"A N/A ecotec is not gonna give Honda's and Mitsu's that much of a run for their
money unless their blown or bottle fed.GM is still smokin crack!"
~1QWKZ24
www.streetracing.org, 08/2001
Sunday, March 19, 2006 7:54 PM
Ohh3SunFire wrote:once u do a tranny flush u shift through each gear and sit in each gear for 5-10 seconds...P R N D 3 2 1...do that like 2-3 times.

i wouldnt do anything with a flush just drain it and refill

Sunday, March 19, 2006 8:56 PM
ok thanks im just worried about blowing up a perfectly good tranny even tho they are as easy to find as water.....
Sunday, March 19, 2006 11:01 PM
honestly i'd take it to a shop and have them do a full tranny flush with the flushing machine, and ask them about additives, we use BG additives/cleaners when we do tranny flushes

Monday, March 20, 2006 11:20 AM
I change my tranny fluid every 40K in all my automatics. Just change it, i would not do a flush on an automatic. I've never had a GM auto fail before 200,000 miles when changed every 2 years or 40,000 miles. I did have one fail when it was flushed, and i'll never do that again.
Don
Saturday, March 25, 2006 8:06 PM
I have 01 4 spd auto 2.2L, I changed my tranny filter & fuild with Drexon III, it was changed 115,000k Ive got 135,000k now. I am the second owner of this car, Never had a problem with the transmission, I didnt do flush, Just drain & refill.
Sunday, March 26, 2006 8:06 AM
I don't do a flush either, i heard that unless u do a flush right from new, you will have trouble with the tranny when u do it. I have always drained and refilled. Don't forget to change the filter aswell

Ryan1

Sunday, March 26, 2006 3:54 PM
I had a fluid change only, no flush...and then i found out 2 weeks later one of the bolts was stripped...fluid everywhere...gonna take it back to the mechanic tomorrow...better not be anything wrong.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search