All ECO 5spds.......WARNING....WARNING!! - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
All ECO 5spds.......WARNING....WARNING!!
Tuesday, April 25, 2006 9:27 AM
So we're out last night cruiseing around when I go to shift from 2nd to 3rd and the pedel hits the floor and white smoke is everywhere!! GREAT!! And with the wife and both kids in the car too. So I limp home speed shifting and starting it in 1st for the lights, it was ugly but it got us home!! Get home pop the hood and see the clutch hose was rubbing on the steel brake line and it rubbed thru. Thankfully I work for a dealership so the new master cyl and hoce only ran me $75.00 but when I opened it I noticed something, the new one has a thick rubber sheild around the hose. GM must KNOW this is an issue and they fixed it with the new hose!!!

So to all of you out there who have an ECOTEC 5spd car I urge you to take 2 minutes out of your busy day to check this hose and make sure its not touching ANYTHING!!
As of yet there are no re-calls for this but the hose is different then what the car came with. Future recall? Who knows! But just be on the safe side and check anyway.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Re: All ECO 5spds.......WARNING....WARNING!!
Tuesday, April 25, 2006 9:36 AM
Didnt somebody post about this before?

That sucks. I would be pretty upset if I got that new hose and saw it was fixed but GM never warned me.

Tuesday, April 25, 2006 9:47 AM
Hmmm, Not sure but I figured it was worth putting out for you guys.

Tuesday, April 25, 2006 12:23 PM
if it burns through, shouldn't they be able to get it done under warranty? assuming the warranty isn't up...

GO PATS!!!
Tuesday, April 25, 2006 3:10 PM
yup happened to someone else and they posted it.

scary

The biggest hole, is the illusion of invulnerability.

:::Creative Draft Image Manipulation Forum:::
Tuesday, April 25, 2006 5:07 PM
^^ that was a brake line. But that sucks.

Tuesday, April 25, 2006 6:56 PM
take a pic of the line your talking about

Tuesday, April 25, 2006 8:29 PM
Yeah i posted about the brake line. please post a pic of this line so i know where to check. Thanks

Tuesday, April 25, 2006 10:23 PM
oops read too fast.

The biggest hole, is the illusion of invulnerability.

:::Creative Draft Image Manipulation Forum:::
Wednesday, April 26, 2006 5:58 AM
Sorry no camera But I'll describe it for you. Look on your transmission where the clutch slave cyl line hooks into the transmission. Its a black plastic piece that has a bleeder valve on it. Follow the steel line up to where it turns into the rubber line and look and make sure its not toucking the steel brake line that comes from the ABS modual.
Now if your car does not have ABS I don't know if this is an issue but I figure better safe then sorry.

If you can't find it this way start at the clutch master cylinder reservour and follow the coragated steel line to the master cyl. Then out of the bottom of the master cyl is the rubber line follow the rubber line down and make sure you have no contact.

Like I said sorry for no pics but if you follow the directions I gave here you can not miss it.

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 8:23 PM
gm has had 3 diffrent hose designs ive also had this problem happen to me and it got repaired under warrenty

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 9:33 PM
Still if someone else could take a picture of this spot i would appreciate it as well since i just bought my first eco/ 5spd a week ago.

Thursday, April 27, 2006 2:28 AM
I had a look and my clutch lines are not close to anything. Also, my '03 Eco has a thick rubber "sleeve" around the tubing that's near the brake lines. Guess they figured it out and equipped the later model 03's with the upgraded hose. Mine is a June 03 car, very late 03.
Don
Thursday, April 27, 2006 5:46 AM
Well that would be an idea Don but mines an 04. And it had no such rubber sleeve only the line itself. So if GM had 2 different suppliers for this part I couldn't tell you.

If anyone can take a pic of the hose for Vince and anyone else that may be haveing a hard time finding this would be great.

Thursday, April 27, 2006 8:40 PM
I believe FatalicCavi had the same problem

Friday, April 28, 2006 5:51 AM
my wife has a 02 ls sport.

i will take a look at it this weekend. and cobble something up to protect that line if need be.

thanks for the look out.

Friday, April 28, 2006 6:57 AM
Not a prob.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search