Timing Chain noise? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Timing Chain noise?
Thursday, January 25, 2007 9:13 AM
Well it might be a little late for me to post this, cause in a couple hours I might own the car that is doing this but I thought I'd get some opinions on it anyways.

I'm looking at an 01 Z24 with 104k on the clock and the car sounds awesome at idle. But as soon as the RPM's start to go up a bit you hear a kinda like clicking/knocking coming from the timing chain area. I am looking at purchasing it from a dealership and they are the ones that told me that the timing chain was bad, and that it would be about 1k for their shop to fix it.

I would be getting the car at a good enough price that I am willing to invest 1k to get it running again, but what I'm worried about is how bad was this car beat that something like this would be going wrong at a little over 100k miles? From what I've heard these things shouldn't go bad until around 200k.

Also, could this noise be something else? The mechanic that I am going to have fix it says theres also a chance that the noise could be a bad install on a water pump, what are the odds of that? And what are the odds of something already being damaged inside the engine if it is the timing chain?

Mainly looking at opinions here because if there is a good chance the engine is already damaged I might as well look into getting a whole different engine instead of just getting a new timing chain put in.

Let me know what you think...

Re: Timing Chain noise?
Thursday, January 25, 2007 9:59 AM
chains usually make a clang sound at higher revs, although if htey said its damaged, get them to check it out

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2267189
Thursday, January 25, 2007 3:15 PM
I hope it's not the famous #3 bearing.....did you pull the dipstick out to see how much oil the car had in it?
Later
Redrider02

"big boom big boom"-Adam Savage. "quack damn you"-Jamie Hyneman "mythbusters"
Thursday, January 25, 2007 7:07 PM
Yea I checked the dipstick and the oil looked fine...

And I guess it was more of a clanging then a clicking or knocking...

Thursday, January 25, 2007 7:08 PM
Oh, and I did buy it so I guess I'm going to find out what the issue is...

Thursday, January 25, 2007 7:53 PM
Get a new engine, for 1k you could get one out of a junk yard that has a lot less miles on it.
Thursday, January 25, 2007 10:17 PM
Yea, we're thinking about that too...

We're just going to wait and see what's going on once we start to tear it apart...

Monday, February 05, 2007 5:49 PM
Alright so an update on the car.

I just actually got it to my house after it sat at this guys for a week or so and he didn't end up doing anything to it.

The noise that it's making starts at about 2.5-3k RPM and it's a knocking noise. Up until that range on the RPM's it sounds fine.

We've talked to a couple people and no one seems to know exactly what it is.

If anyone has any idea please let me know, I need to get this thing fixed asap...

I'm going to try and get a video with some sound up so you can hear what I'm talking about...

Thanks...

Tuesday, February 06, 2007 9:32 PM
any ideas?

Thursday, February 08, 2007 3:20 PM
there is a little "timing chain tensioner" if the car had a water pump done, they likely didn't reset it... check to make sure that is tight (depress all the way in, and it will snap out) lots of people have had that issue in this forum.

HP Tuners | Garrett T3/T04B | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | 650 Injectors | HO Manifold | Addco front/rear | Motor Mounts | HKS SSQV | Spec stage 3 | AEM UEGO Wideband | Team Green LSD | FMIC | 2.3 cams | 2.3 oil pump swap | 280WHP | Now ECOTECED

Saturday, February 10, 2007 12:27 PM
Nice, thanks for the heads up...

I'll have to look into that...

Saturday, February 10, 2007 10:18 PM
Have a mechanic puller the timing cover and see what's going on before you jump to conclusions

ASE Certified Techician
DaimlerChrysler Certified Techician
Va Safety Inspector
Member Option D Racing
Sunday, February 11, 2007 9:20 AM
Actually it's at the shop now, and I believe that's what he's going to be doing tomorrow...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search